Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl newbie
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl newbie Post 302272856 by Sgiri1 on Thursday 1st of January 2009 09:43:28 AM
Old 01-01-2009
perl newbie

what is the difference in regexes using symbols like

^NAME$|^SELF$

and

\bNAME\b
\bSELF\b

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie question

Can someone tell me what this is doing? I know it is reading records from a table and puts them in a hash. How do I print out, let's say, the first 5 columns of data (assuming columns are named col1, col2, ...)? $sth = $dbh->prepare("select * from stsc.loc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssmiths001
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie: how to extract an unknown word from a string

hi, im quite new to perl regexp. i have a problem where i want to extract a word from a given string. but the word is unknown, only fact is that it appears as the second word in the string. Eg. input string(s) : char var1 = 'A'; int var2 = 10; char *ptr; and what i want to do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Newbie - help!

Hi All, newbie-ish question here. I have this script: foreach $test (@num) { foreach $record (@neet) { if ($record =~ /$test/){ print "$record \n"; print $test; } } } For some reason, the $test variable doesn't seem to be carrying into the second "foreach" loop. Does anyone know why... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie to perl - Help with stats script

Hi, this is my first post so here goes..... I need help... I am trying to write a script to produce some stats based on a number of searches in a log file. Now i know how to do this using multiple variables which are really just greps, but I want a more efficent way of doing this as my poor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ARwebble
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie questions!

Hi, So I started to learn perl a few days ago, and I have some problems... One of my problems... #!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe -w use LWP::Simple; print "Content-Type: Text/Plain\n\n"; sub pagelinks { return @all = get($_) =~ /href\s*=\s*"?(+)/gis; } @a =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: byte1918
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl newbie question

I have the following question in perl, I have come up with couple of solutions,Perl gurus please help me find the best answer to my question? You have a PERL database named DataEntryData, and you need to separate out the various values from the DB entry $item, delimited by the ^ sumbol. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie question re: variables

Hi there apologies for the really basic question but if i have a variable called $string that I want to run a regex against and output to another variable ...how do i do it, I know that if i wanted to alter the current $string variable i would do $string=~ s/old/new/g; but i kind of want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden Characters in Regular Expression Matching Perl - Perl Newbie

I am completely new to perl programming. My father is helping me learn said programming language. However, I am stuck on one of the assignments he has given me, and I can't find very much help with it via google, either because I have a tiny attention span, or because I can be very very dense. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittyluva2
4 Replies
pnmpsnr(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   pnmpsnr(1)

NAME
pnmpsnr - compute the difference between two portable anymaps SYNOPSIS
pnmpsnr [pnmfile1] [pnmfile2] DESCRIPTION
Reads two PBM, PGM, or PPM files, or PAM equivalents, as input. Prints the peak signal-to-noise ratio (PSNR) difference between the two images. This metric is typically used in image compression papers to rate the distortion between original and decoded image. If the inputs are PBM or PGM, pnmpsnr prints the PSNR of the luminance only. Otherwise, it prints the separate PSNRs of the luminance, and chrominance (Cb and Cr) components of the colors. The PSNR of a given component is the ratio of the mean square difference of the component for the two images to the maximum mean square difference that can exist betwee any two images. It is expressed as a decibel value. The mean square difference of a component for two images is the mean square difference of the component value, comparing each pixel with the pixel in the same position of the other image. For the purposes of this computation, components are normalized to the scale [0..1]. The maximum mean square difference is identically 1. So the higher the PSNR, the closer the images are. A luminance PSNR of 20 means the mean square difference of the luminances of the pixels is 100 times less than the maximum possible difference, i.e. 0.01. SEE ALSO
pnm(5) 04 March 2001 pnmpsnr(1)