Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PATH dircetory search order
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PATH dircetory search order Post 302272805 by bobban on Thursday 1st of January 2009 02:40:23 AM
Old 01-01-2009
Quote:
2-Dont forget to EXPORT your path! About once a week I work an extra 15min on a problem because I forgot to EXPORT the varaiable.
What does EXPORT do?

I have a script: newpath.sh

and in that is the line:

PATH="/cygdrive/d/dev/Builds/BuildOutputDir:.:"

and I run it using the source command:

. newpath.sh

and after that, when I enter "printf $PATH" I can see it has updated. Am I missing something?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory in search path

Is it unsafe to put your own home directory (a regular user) in your search path? I am writing useful shell scripts, but don't have the permissions to put them in /usr/bin. (Korn shell) thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding default search path for CPP

Hi there, I have built myself a GCC (3.4.4) for PowerPC with a cross compilation toolchain running on a x86, together with glibc-2.3.4 and binutils-2.16. On the PowerPC there is a system runnign already (only console ofc, nothing "cosy", kernel-2.6.15). So my question is how to propperly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boyanov
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - search order

Hi, I would like "grep" command to search ALL files in current directory in the order of their modified/created date. How can i do this? e.g., if 3 files contain the pattern i am searching for, i need the output of "grep" to be in the order such that old file search result should come first.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find duplicate commands in the search path?

I wanted to see if there is any duplicate of a specific command in the command search path. The following code will list all copies of "openssl" in the command search path. find `printenv PATH | sed "s/:/ /g"` -maxdepth 1 -name openssl However, the above code would fail if the search path... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select the shortest path in grep search?

Hi, How can I display only one shortest path (A/B/configure)? $ grep configure file.txt A/B/configure A/B/C/configure A/B/C/D/configure Thank you. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conduct a search or test -f over a path with spaces

I am organizing my music library on a NAS server. I want to print a list of all the directories that are missing the cover art (at least one or more jpeg file). I have successfully created a file with each line containing the path to each occurance of one or more .mp3 files. That path is also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: godfreydanials
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add to the search path - bin?

Hi, Now I have: /Users/okn/bin for my private shell scripts. How do I add /Users/okn/bin to my PATH? The PATH is right now: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin The .bash_profile doesn't state anything about a PATH (yet). I read about this: PATH=/bin:$PATH
 export PATH or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OmarKN
1 Replies

8. Programming

Gcc linker search path order

I have a build where I wish to link against and load a specific version of a library and a different version of the same library is installed on the system. I'm using a -L option to point to the version that I wish to link against but gcc still seems to choose the installed version. Is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard Johnson
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Php search path

Probably simple, but I don't see it. jack@veritron /u/email $ cat p3.php <?php require_once './lib/swift_required.php'; $x=get_include_path(); echo "$x \n"; set_include_path('./lib:./lib/classes:'.$x); $x=get_include_path(); echo "$x \n"; $transport =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt
1 Replies
SYMLINK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SYMLINK(2)

NAME
symlink - make a new name for a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int symlink(const char *oldpath, const char *newpath); DESCRIPTION
symlink creates a symbolic link named newpath which contains the string oldpath. Symbolic links are interpreted at run-time as if the contents of the link had been substituted into the path being followed to find a file or directory. Symbolic links may contain .. path components, which (if used at the start of the link) refer to the parent directories of that in which the link resides. A symbolic link (also known as a soft link) may point to an existing file or to a nonexistent one; the latter case is known as a dangling link. The permissions of a symbolic link are irrelevant; the ownership is ignored when following the link, but is checked when removal or renam- ing of the link is requested and the link is in a directory with the sticky bit set. If newpath exists it will not be overwritten. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The filesystem containing newpath does not support the creation of symbolic links. EFAULT oldpath or newpath points outside your accessible address space. EACCES Write access to the directory containing newpath is not allowed for the process's effective uid, or one of the directories in new- path did not allow search (execute) permission. ENAMETOOLONG oldpath or newpath was too long. ENOENT A directory component in newpath does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link, or oldpath is the empty string. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in newpath is not, in fact, a directory. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. EROFS newpath is on a read-only filesystem. EEXIST newpath already exists. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving newpath. ENOSPC The device containing the file has no room for the new directory entry. EIO An I/O error occurred. NOTES
No checking of oldpath is done. Deleting the name referred to by a symlink will actually delete the file (unless it also has other hard links). If this behaviour is not desired, use link. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID, POSIX, BSD 4.3. SVr4 documents additional error codes SVr4, SVID, BSD 4.3, X/OPEN. SVr4 documents additional error codes EDQUOT and ENOSYS. See open(2) re multiple files with the same name, and NFS. SEE ALSO
readlink(2), link(2), unlink(2), rename(2), open(2), lstat(2), ln(1) Linux 2.0.30 1997-08-21 SYMLINK(2)