Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users same file being opened by two users at a time Post 302272689 by cjcox on Wednesday 31st of December 2008 11:08:24 AM
Old 12-31-2008
Not by default. At least not portably across all *ix.

With regards to "mess", it's really not a mess issue, it's just that the last one out wins (in most cases).

What kind of file is it? Text files? You might consider some kind of version control system.... at least then there would be ways to prevent multiple editing or at least some way of handling merges.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

maximum number of times - a file can be opened

Hi All, We can find the maximum of open file descriptors in hold with respect to a process. As default size was 256 (with getrlimit) and the hard limt was 65536 I tried changing the limit to 1024(with setrlimit) successfully changed the limit but still I couldnt have as many open file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to find last time file was opened

New to unix .. Is there a simple command or utility that will tell me when the last time a file was opened/used? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recognize if a file still opened by any process?

Is there a way to tell for sure if a file currently is opened by any running process? I have a task to filter a text file which is produced by some long process. I have no way to communicate with that process, but I have access to a location, where that proces produce an output file. Need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display what processes, users have opened at a given time

Hello, What i have to do is make a top 10 list of users sorted by the number of processes opened at a given time. Can anyone help me with finding out for a given moment, for all users how many processes each had opened? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabibyte
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find process through file opened

Hello all, I have a file that is growing and growing by the action of any process. How can I find what process is? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find who opened/modified a file last

Hi *, I'm wondering if it possible to know WHO opened or modified a file last? I know it's possible with some options of find and also ls to get when the file was modified last. I'm currently supervising a file and have to log all users name who opened or modified it. Thanx a lot for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jabarod
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cp command when destination file is opened

I am writing a shell script (runs on HP Unix) which copies files from a source directory to another destination daily. The destination directory always have the files with same name as in the source directory. And daily a new file will be created in the source. cp command works fine if the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_ms
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code: archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies
XML::DOM::Text(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 XML::DOM::Text(3)

NAME
XML::DOM::Text - A piece of XML text in XML::DOM DESCRIPTION
XML::DOM::Text extends XML::DOM::CharacterData, which extends XML::DOM::Node. The Text interface represents the textual content (termed character data in XML) of an Element or Attr. If there is no markup inside an element's content, the text is contained in a single object implementing the Text interface that is the only child of the element. If there is markup, it is parsed into a list of elements and Text nodes that form the list of children of the element. When a document is first made available via the DOM, there is only one Text node for each block of text. Users may create adjacent Text nodes that represent the contents of a given element without any intervening markup, but should be aware that there is no way to represent the separations between these nodes in XML or HTML, so they will not (in general) persist between DOM editing sessions. The normalize() method on Element merges any such adjacent Text objects into a single node for each block of text; this is recommended before employing operations that depend on a particular document structure, such as navigation with XPointers. METHODS splitText (offset) Breaks this Text node into two Text nodes at the specified offset, keeping both in the tree as siblings. This node then only contains all the content up to the offset point. And a new Text node, which is inserted as the next sibling of this node, contains all the content at and after the offset point. Parameters: offset The offset at which to split, starting from 0. Return Value: The new Text node. DOMExceptions: o INDEX_SIZE_ERR Raised if the specified offset is negative or greater than the number of characters in data. o NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR Raised if this node is readonly. perl v5.16.3 2000-01-31 XML::DOM::Text(3)