Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Interaction shell cmd prompt
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Interaction shell cmd prompt Post 302272604 by otheus on Wednesday 31st of December 2008 05:41:52 AM
Old 12-31-2008
Code:
a=0
last="default"
while [ $last != "" ]; do 
    echo -n "Enter arg $a:" 
    read last
    eval set \$arg$a=$last
done

Now your arguments are $arg1 $arg2 $arg3 and so on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

rediretion and pipes in DOS shell cmd interpreter

Hello, I am trying to accomplish the following. Send the output of a command to the screen (this happens by default) as well as capture the output of the screen to a log file. How can this be achieved in DOS command interpreter syntax. Any ideas/suggesstions/indicators are greatly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

telnet shell script on red hat 9 cmd line only

i would like to make a shell script (red hat 9 cmd line only) to telnet to my local isp's webmail server on port 25 and send it commands such as helo :) help would be much appreciated, and i found no posts similar that answered my question... the closest i've gotten to an answer from about 8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kypeswith
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Nohup shell with REMSH cmd => SIGTTIN

Hi, I have a shell with 2 remsh commands I run my job with the following command nohup job1 >log1 2>log2 & The job 1 has 2 remsh commands: remsh host1 -l oracle /l1/oracle/script/test_remsh.sh remsh host1 -l oracle /l1/oracle/script/test_remsh2.sh I receive SIGTTN signal And 2 process stay... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandouy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how2 shell cmd into variable

How do I place the result of a shell command into a variable. I would like to save the pwd in $DIR. I tried... pwd | $DIR $DIR < pwd DIR=pwd thanks! jz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

open terminal to run cmd using shell script

i want the shell script to open the terminal and in that terminal i want to run a command specified in the script... how can it be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrabhushan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

script to open new cmd prompt for devices on visio

Hello, Can any one please help: I have a lab design on Visio, with routers and switches. What I am planning to do is: when I double click a device icon - it should open a new cmd prompt window and automatically performs the telnet session and log's me into the device. Appreciate your... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change unix cmd display prompt?

I am new to to unix and I want to make my own basic shell. What is the code I can use to change the unix cmd console display? For example my unix display prompt says MyCompterName~, I want it to say WhatEverMan~ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: megaearth77
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Unix shell script to open Windows command prompt (cmd)

Hello, I work on Windows and I use Putty to access a remote UNIX server. I am trying to build a shell script that will have as main task to open the Windows command prompt (cmd) and run some Windows commands thereafter. The commands are actually file transfer commands that will download a file... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie2785
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use reset_server (siebel server) cmd in shell script

hello frnds, im using a script to stop, reset and to start the siebel server.. i'm able to extract the enterprise name, siebel server name and siebel root path.. when i try to use these info in the script im unable to perform the reset_server -r <siebel root> -e <enterprise name> +-M... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik_87
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)