Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users same file being opened by two users at a time Post 302272584 by paresh n doshi on Wednesday 31st of December 2008 03:34:03 AM
Old 12-31-2008
same file being opened by two users at a time

I want to avoid a situation where because two users simultaneously
open a file and modify and save, leaving the original file in mess.
Is there a way in UNIX to warn a user if that particular file is already being
used by another user.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

maximum number of times - a file can be opened

Hi All, We can find the maximum of open file descriptors in hold with respect to a process. As default size was 256 (with getrlimit) and the hard limt was 65536 I tried changing the limit to 1024(with setrlimit) successfully changed the limit but still I couldnt have as many open file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to find last time file was opened

New to unix .. Is there a simple command or utility that will tell me when the last time a file was opened/used? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recognize if a file still opened by any process?

Is there a way to tell for sure if a file currently is opened by any running process? I have a task to filter a text file which is produced by some long process. I have no way to communicate with that process, but I have access to a location, where that proces produce an output file. Need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display what processes, users have opened at a given time

Hello, What i have to do is make a top 10 list of users sorted by the number of processes opened at a given time. Can anyone help me with finding out for a given moment, for all users how many processes each had opened? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabibyte
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find process through file opened

Hello all, I have a file that is growing and growing by the action of any process. How can I find what process is? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find who opened/modified a file last

Hi *, I'm wondering if it possible to know WHO opened or modified a file last? I know it's possible with some options of find and also ls to get when the file was modified last. I'm currently supervising a file and have to log all users name who opened or modified it. Thanx a lot for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jabarod
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cp command when destination file is opened

I am writing a shell script (runs on HP Unix) which copies files from a source directory to another destination daily. The destination directory always have the files with same name as in the source directory. And daily a new file will be created in the source. cp command works fine if the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_ms
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code: archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies
warn.conf(4)							   File Formats 						      warn.conf(4)

NAME
warn.conf - Kerberos warning configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/krb5/warn.conf DESCRIPTION
The warn.conf file contains configuration information specifying how users will be warned by the ktkt_warnd daemon about ticket expiration on a Kerberos client. Credential expiration warnings are sent, by means of syslog, to auth.notice. All other warning messages are sent to daemon.notice. Each Kerberos client host must have a warn.conf file in order for users on that host to get Kerberos warnings from the client. Entries in the warn.conf file must have the following format: principal syslog | terminal | mail time [email_address] principal Specifies the principal name to be warned. The asterisk (*) wildcard can be used to specify groups of principals. syslog Sends the warnings to the system's syslog. Depending on the /etc/syslog.conf file, syslog entries are written to the /var/adm/messages file and/or displayed on the terminal. terminal Sends the warnings to display on the terminal. mail Sends the warnings as email to the address specified by email_address. time Specifies how much time before the TGT expires when a warning should be sent. The default time value is seconds, but you can specify h (hours) and m (minutes) after the number to specify other time values. email_address Specifies the email address at which to send the warnings. This field must be specified only with the mail field. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Specifying warnings The following warn.conf entry * syslog 5m specifies that warnings will be sent to the syslog five minutes before the expiration of the TGT for all principals. The form of the mes- sage is: jdb@ACME.COM: your kerberos credentials expire in 5 minutes FILES
/usr/lib/krb5/ktkt_warnd Kerberos warning daemon SEE ALSO
ktkt_warnd(1M), syslog.conf(4), SEAM(5) SunOS 5.10 22 Apr 2003 warn.conf(4)