Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users same file being opened by two users at a time Post 302272584 by paresh n doshi on Wednesday 31st of December 2008 03:34:03 AM
Old 12-31-2008
same file being opened by two users at a time

I want to avoid a situation where because two users simultaneously
open a file and modify and save, leaving the original file in mess.
Is there a way in UNIX to warn a user if that particular file is already being
used by another user.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

maximum number of times - a file can be opened

Hi All, We can find the maximum of open file descriptors in hold with respect to a process. As default size was 256 (with getrlimit) and the hard limt was 65536 I tried changing the limit to 1024(with setrlimit) successfully changed the limit but still I couldnt have as many open file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to find last time file was opened

New to unix .. Is there a simple command or utility that will tell me when the last time a file was opened/used? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recognize if a file still opened by any process?

Is there a way to tell for sure if a file currently is opened by any running process? I have a task to filter a text file which is produced by some long process. I have no way to communicate with that process, but I have access to a location, where that proces produce an output file. Need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display what processes, users have opened at a given time

Hello, What i have to do is make a top 10 list of users sorted by the number of processes opened at a given time. Can anyone help me with finding out for a given moment, for all users how many processes each had opened? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabibyte
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find process through file opened

Hello all, I have a file that is growing and growing by the action of any process. How can I find what process is? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find who opened/modified a file last

Hi *, I'm wondering if it possible to know WHO opened or modified a file last? I know it's possible with some options of find and also ls to get when the file was modified last. I'm currently supervising a file and have to log all users name who opened or modified it. Thanx a lot for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jabarod
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cp command when destination file is opened

I am writing a shell script (runs on HP Unix) which copies files from a source directory to another destination daily. The destination directory always have the files with same name as in the source directory. And daily a new file will be created in the source. cp command works fine if the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_ms
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code: archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies
WPA_PRIV(8)															       WPA_PRIV(8)

NAME
wpa_priv - wpa_supplicant privilege separation helper SYNOPSIS
wpa_priv [ -c ctrl path ] [ -Bdd ] [ -P pid file ] [ driver:ifname [driver:ifname ...] ] OVERVIEW
wpa_priv is a privilege separation helper that minimizes the size of wpa_supplicant code that needs to be run with root privileges. If enabled, privileged operations are done in the wpa_priv process while leaving rest of the code (e.g., EAP authentication and WPA hand- shakes) to operate in an unprivileged process (wpa_supplicant) that can be run as non-root user. Privilege separation restricts the effects of potential software errors by containing the majority of the code in an unprivileged process to avoid the possibility of a full system compromise. wpa_priv needs to be run with network admin privileges (usually, root user). It opens a UNIX domain socket for each interface that is included on the command line; any other interface will be off limits for wpa_supplicant in this kind of configuration. After this, wpa_sup- plicant can be run as a non-root user (e.g., all standard users on a laptop or as a special non-privileged user account created just for this purpose to limit access to user files even further). EXAMPLE CONFIGURATION
The following steps are an example of how to configure wpa_priv to allow users in the wpapriv group to communicate with wpa_supplicant with privilege separation: Create user group (e.g., wpapriv) and assign users that should be able to use wpa_supplicant into that group. Create /var/run/wpa_priv directory for UNIX domain sockets and control user access by setting it accessible only for the wpapriv group: mkdir /var/run/wpa_priv chown root:wpapriv /var/run/wpa_priv chmod 0750 /var/run/wpa_priv Start wpa_priv as root (e.g., from system startup scripts) with the enabled interfaces configured on the command line: wpa_priv -B -c /var/run/wpa_priv -P /var/run/wpa_priv.pid wext:wlan0 Run wpa_supplicant as non-root with a user that is in the wpapriv group: wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf COMMAND ARGUMENTS
-c ctrl path Specify the path to wpa_priv control directory (Default: /var/run/wpa_priv/). -B Run as a daemon in the background. -P file Set the location of the PID file. driver:ifname [driver:ifname ...] The <driver> string dictates which of the supported wpa_supplicant driver backends is to be used. To get a list of supported driver types see wpa_supplicant help (e.g, wpa_supplicant -h). The driver backend supported by most good drivers is wext. The <ifname> string specifies which network interface is to be managed by wpa_supplicant (e.g., wlan0 or ath0). wpa_priv does not use the network interface before wpa_supplicant is started, so it is fine to include network interfaces that are not available at the time wpa_priv is started. wpa_priv can control multiple interfaces with one process, but it is also possible to run multiple wpa_priv processes at the same time, if desired. SEE ALSO
wpa_supplicant(8) LEGAL
wpa_supplicant is copyright (c) 2003-2007, Jouni Malinen <j@w1.fi> and contributors. All Rights Reserved. This program is dual-licensed under both the GPL version 2 and BSD license. Either license may be used at your option. 16 January 2010 WPA_PRIV(8)