Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux how to rectify the MS Office problem Post 302272562 by otheus on Wednesday 31st of December 2008 01:29:27 AM
Old 12-31-2008
Okay, with existing files you might have a permissions problem.

Install and use the smbclient command-line utilities. These act like FTP, except that they use samba. Run the program on your server, connect to your server's SMB share, and try to upload a Microsoft file (not onto itself, obviously, but into a different directory or with a new name).

Also, in you next post, attach your smb.conf file. Scrub any passwords, please.
(click on "Go Advanced" and then scroll to below the input form and click on "Manage Files". From there you can upload a text file.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx - out of the office

I'm using the mailx client on Solaris to read my email. I would like to know if it is possible to create an "Out of the Office" reply to the sender of email while I'm on vacation??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigfish
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Office

My first question is: Is there a version of Microsoft Office out for Unix? My second Question is: If there isn't a version of Microsoft Office for Unix, then can i get MS office for MAC OS X and install it on my sparc sytems? Im running solaris 8 and 10. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikster007
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

please rectify my problem

Dear Friends, I have two data file containing 4 coloums. my first file has data like this ex: file1: 2.56 66.82 *** 2.56 66.82 *** 2.54 66.84 *** 2.54 66.84 *** 2.51 66.84 *** 2.51 66.84 *** 2.51 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
8 Replies

4. Linux

MS Office for Linux..

Hi all, I have to install MS office on the Linux 9. As it is the essential part of my Internship. So I just want to know the following things: 1. Is it possible? 2. From where I can get the MS Ofiice for Linux 9. 3. From wher I can get the Documentation for Installing it. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman_mlt
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

UNIX problem concerning Microsoft Office Binary

I just started using Terminal on my Mac this summer, and right now I am having problems making a shell script. This shell should run the "Microsoft Setup Assistant" once I run the Automator Script. Alas, I still have problems. Here is the offending scriptlet: Sudo Tcsh root# cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisfrap
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

On comparing two number getting error,not able to rectify it pplease help

temp=`cat /gcdm/prd/rawdata/LCDM_FR_CCF_00003_D_CARM | head -1 | cut -c 19-27` temp= `expr $temp - 1` for file in `ls /gcdm/prd/archive*/carm/LCDM_FR_CCF_00003_D_CARM/*.gz` do seq_no=`gunzip -c $file | head -1 | cut -c 19-27` if then echo found; fi done this is code I am using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moh_hak_786
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finger command not showing Office, Office Phone from /etc/passwd

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but at this point my question seems to be an advanced topic. I'm curious why it is that the "office phone" column of finger does not seem to report anything even when data is entered in the GECOS field of /etc/passwd. I am using Ubuntu 8.10, kernel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gratuitous_arp
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

problem uninstalling MS office 2010

whenever i try to uninstall my MS office 2010 it gives me an error , uninstaller is corrupted , try to run uninstaller from the original setup. If i do that, it doesn't give me an option to uninstall it ! I tried to reinstall the whole MS office 2010 from the same setup again, but though... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarsh
7 Replies

9. IP Networking

Routing traffic problem between 3G and Office Lan Network

Hi, I would like to ask some networking solution regarding my work LAN and 3G usb network problem. I want to route my internet traffic to the 3G network and sometimes connect to some of my work network for ssh to configure some workstation or print something. Currently my problem is i can't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Problem setting up SSMTP with Office 365

Hi guys! Im trying to setup my box so it can send its emails through Office 365 SMTP. I spent 8 hours yesterday trying to configure sendmail to do this, but I gave up. Now Im trying to do it with SSMTP and I followed this guide to configure it How to install and configure sSMTP on CentOS /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
0 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smbclient(1), smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBTAR(1)