Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to create a script to show what files in what folders Post 302272550 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 31st of December 2008 12:16:38 AM
Old 12-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaran21
Thank you matrixmadhan & cfajohnson, I wish I could create scripts as good as you guys but unfortunately I have started using the unix enviroment only recently, hence I cant make heads or tails out of your scripts.

I wonder if it would be to much to ask you guys to explain to me the scripts that you have provided.

And cfajohnson, yes, by folders I do mean directories.

Thank you all for your efforts.
here is the explanation for the perl code I posted

Code:
open(FI, "<", $ARGV[0]) or die "Unable to open file : $ARGV[0] < $! > \n";
# open the file in read mode, first argument to the script is input file
# FI is the file handle
# If unable to open the file, just terminate from the script

my %data_hash = ();
# define a hash data structure

while (<FI> ) {
# while contents from file are available, iterate through the file through the file handle obtained above

chomp;
# remove new line character from the input read from file which is based on $/ as known as INPUT_RECORD_SEPERATOR

my ($folder, $file) = split(/ /);
# split the input record with space as delimiter

push( @{$data_hash{$folder}}, $file);
# key to the hash is folder
# value is an array reference containing list of files corresponding to a folder
# push the file value in an array against the corresponding folder name
}

close(FI) or die "Unable to close file : $ARGV[0] < $! > \n";
# close the file handle that is opened above

foreach my $k ( keys %data_hash ) {

# iterate through the above built hash data structure
  print "$k " , @{$data_hash{$k}}, "\n";

# print the key and values
# key - folder name
# value - list of files for a folder
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to move files to 3 different folders

Hi guys: I've got this problem, I want to move a bunch of files to 3 different folders, without any specific order, and I'm trying to automatize it with a shell script. I'm a newbie at shell scripting so this is my first try: #!/bin/bash COUNTER=`ls -1 | wc -l` while do ARRAY=(... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wretchedmike
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to create folders

Hi I want to write a small script that will create folders named from `AAAA' all the way to `ZZZZ'. That is: `AAAA' `AAAB' `AAAC' ... `AABA' `AABB' `AABC' ... `ABAA' `ABAB' `ABAC' ... `ABBA' ... `ZZZZ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to arrange files into several folders

Hello this is the script Im working on I have a picture collection that I rescued from a hard drive and there are thousands of pictures saved in one folder. What I need is to create several folders and put lets say around 200 pictures in each folder. At the end instead of having one huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kizofilax
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some manipulations with files and folders. (loop, find, create and remove)

Hello! I need to realize such task. 1. In my user's home dir I have folder1; 2. In folder1 I have some (various count) subfolders with random names; 3. In these subfolders I have one file anyname.pdf (various name in each subfolder) and file content.txt (constant name in each subfolder) ##... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: optik77
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to create folders

hi again, having an issue with the code here because it doesnt work :D can someone point what and how to change, please. #!/bin/bash #create directory mylabs, inside create 6 directories named by user. DIR1="$1" DIR2="$2" if ; then echo -n " there is a folder named mylabs, what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: me.
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent- shell script to create sub folders

Hi All, Could any one help me with a shell script which will create different sub folders in a folder and of which the sub folders names should be taken from a text file. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetansingh23
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files in multiple folders

Hello all, I would appreciate any help to write a script. I have folder A which contains over 30 thousands xml files, I would like create multiple folders and move those files (500 in each folders). Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmsiddig
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete folders and files from a prompt

Hi Everyone, I work for GE Money IVR as a DB analyst and the environment on which I work is Solaris 5.0 server and Oracle 11g. I got a project in which I have to clean up the folders and files which are not used in DB. I copied an existing script and edited it, dont know this is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: habeeb506
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies
OSACOMPILE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     OSACOMPILE(1)

NAME
osacompile -- compile AppleScripts and other OSA language scripts SYNOPSIS
osacompile [-l language] [-e command] [-o name] [-d] [-r type:id] [-t type] [-c creator] [-x] [-s] [-u] [-a arch] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
osacompile compiles the given files, or standard input if none are listed, into a single output script. Files may be plain text or other compiled scripts. The options are as follows: -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -e command Enter one line of a script. Script commands given via -e are prepended to the normal source, if any. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (e.g., AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the command will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -o name Place the output in the file name. If -o is not specified, the resulting script is placed in the file ``a.scpt''. The value of -o partly determines the output file format; see below. -x Save the resulting script as execute-only. The following options are only relevant when creating a new bundled applet or droplet: -s Stay-open applet. -u Use startup screen. -a arch Create the applet or droplet for the specified target architecture arch. The allowable values are ``ppc'', ``i386'', and ``x86_64''. The default is to create a universal binary. The following options control the packaging of the output file. You should only need them for compatibility with classic Mac OS or for cus- tom file formats. -d Place the resulting script in the data fork of the output file. This is the default. -r type:id Place the resulting script in the resource fork of the output file, in the specified resource. -t type Set the output file type to type, where type is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. -c creator Set the output file creator to creator, where creator is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. If no options are specified, osacompile produces a Mac OS X format script file: data fork only, with no type or creator code. If the -o option is specified and the file does not already exist, osacompile uses the filename extension to determine what type of file to create. If the filename ends with ``.app'', it creates a bundled applet or droplet. If the filename ends with ``.scptd'', it creates a bun- dled compiled script. Otherwise, it creates a flat file with the script data placed according to the values of the -d and -r options. EXAMPLES
To produce a script compatible with classic Mac OS: osacompile -r scpt:128 -t osas -c ToyS example.applescript SEE ALSO
osascript(1), osalang(1) Mac OS X November 12, 2008 Mac OS X