Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to create a script to show what files in what folders Post 302272392 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 30th of December 2008 01:07:48 PM
Old 12-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaran21
I wonder if it would be to much to ask you guys to explain to me the scripts that you have provided.

Code:
for dir in Folder*
## The shell expands Folder* to a list
## of all files and directories beginning with "Folder"
##
## "for" assigns each member of the list in turn to the variable $dir
## and executes the code between "do" and "done" using that value
do
  printf "%s" "$dir" ## print the name of the directory with no newline
  (
    cd "$dir"  ## Change the working directory to the one in $dir
    ## That should have included a test that the cd was successful:
    ## cd "$dir" ||
    ## continue ## go to the next iteration of the loop if not successful

## Place all the [non-hidden] files into the positional parameters
    set -- *

if [ -f "$1" ] ## check that there actually is a file
    then
      printf "\t" ## print a TAB character

## Store all the filenames, with commas, in $list
      list=$( printf "%s, " "$@" )

## Print list of filenames without newlines
      ## and without the trailing comma
      printf "%s" "${list%, }"
    fi
   )
  echo ## print a newline
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to move files to 3 different folders

Hi guys: I've got this problem, I want to move a bunch of files to 3 different folders, without any specific order, and I'm trying to automatize it with a shell script. I'm a newbie at shell scripting so this is my first try: #!/bin/bash COUNTER=`ls -1 | wc -l` while do ARRAY=(... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wretchedmike
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to create folders

Hi I want to write a small script that will create folders named from `AAAA' all the way to `ZZZZ'. That is: `AAAA' `AAAB' `AAAC' ... `AABA' `AABB' `AABC' ... `ABAA' `ABAB' `ABAC' ... `ABBA' ... `ZZZZ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to arrange files into several folders

Hello this is the script Im working on I have a picture collection that I rescued from a hard drive and there are thousands of pictures saved in one folder. What I need is to create several folders and put lets say around 200 pictures in each folder. At the end instead of having one huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kizofilax
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some manipulations with files and folders. (loop, find, create and remove)

Hello! I need to realize such task. 1. In my user's home dir I have folder1; 2. In folder1 I have some (various count) subfolders with random names; 3. In these subfolders I have one file anyname.pdf (various name in each subfolder) and file content.txt (constant name in each subfolder) ##... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: optik77
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to create folders

hi again, having an issue with the code here because it doesnt work :D can someone point what and how to change, please. #!/bin/bash #create directory mylabs, inside create 6 directories named by user. DIR1="$1" DIR2="$2" if ; then echo -n " there is a folder named mylabs, what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: me.
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent- shell script to create sub folders

Hi All, Could any one help me with a shell script which will create different sub folders in a folder and of which the sub folders names should be taken from a text file. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetansingh23
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files in multiple folders

Hello all, I would appreciate any help to write a script. I have folder A which contains over 30 thousands xml files, I would like create multiple folders and move those files (500 in each folders). Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmsiddig
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete folders and files from a prompt

Hi Everyone, I work for GE Money IVR as a DB analyst and the environment on which I work is Solaris 5.0 server and Oracle 11g. I got a project in which I have to clean up the folders and files which are not used in DB. I copied an existing script and edited it, dont know this is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: habeeb506
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies
Template::Plugin::Directory(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Template::Plugin::Directory(3)

NAME
Template::Plugin::Directory - Plugin for generating directory listings SYNOPSIS
[% USE dir = Directory(dirpath) %] # files returns list of regular files [% FOREACH file = dir.files %] [% file.name %] [% file.path %] ... [% END %] # dirs returns list of sub-directories [% FOREACH subdir = dir.dirs %] [% subdir.name %] [% subdir.path %] ... [% END %] # list returns both interleaved in order [% FOREACH item = dir.list %] [% IF item.isdir %] Directory: [% item.name %] [% ELSE %] File: [% item.name %] [% END %] [% END %] # define a VIEW to display dirs/files [% VIEW myview %] [% BLOCK file %] File: [% item.name %] [% END %] [% BLOCK directory %] Directory: [% item.name %] [% item.content(myview) | indent -%] [% END %] [% END %] # display directory content using view [% myview.print(dir) %] DESCRIPTION
This Template Toolkit plugin provides a simple interface to directory listings. It is derived from the Template::Plugin::File module and uses Template::Plugin::File object instances to represent files within a directory. Sub-directories within a directory are represented by further "Template::Plugin::Directory" instances. The constructor expects a directory name as an argument. [% USE dir = Directory('/tmp') %] It then provides access to the files and sub-directories contained within the directory. # regular files (not directories) [% FOREACH file IN dir.files %] [% file.name %] [% END %] # directories only [% FOREACH file IN dir.dirs %] [% file.name %] [% END %] # files and/or directories [% FOREACH file IN dir.list %] [% file.name %] ([% file.isdir ? 'directory' : 'file' %]) [% END %] The plugin constructor will throw a "Directory" error if the specified path does not exist, is not a directory or fails to "stat()" (see Template::Plugin::File). Otherwise, it will scan the directory and create lists named '"files"' containing files, '"dirs"' containing directories and '"list"' containing both files and directories combined. The "nostat" option can be set to disable all file/directory checks and directory scanning. Each file in the directory will be represented by a Template::Plugin::File object instance, and each directory by another "Template::Plugin::Directory". If the "recurse" flag is set, then those directories will contain further nested entries, and so on. With the "recurse" flag unset, as it is by default, then each is just a place marker for the directory and does not contain any further content unless its "scan()" method is explicitly called. The "isdir" flag can be tested against files and/or directories, returning true if the item is a directory or false if it is a regular file. [% FOREACH file = dir.list %] [% IF file.isdir %] * Directory: [% file.name %] [% ELSE %] * File: [% file.name %] [% END %] [% END %] This example shows how you might walk down a directory tree, displaying content as you go. With the recurse flag disabled, as is the default, we need to explicitly call the "scan()" method on each directory, to force it to lookup files and further sub-directories contained within. [% USE dir = Directory(dirpath) %] * [% dir.path %] [% INCLUDE showdir %] [% BLOCK showdir -%] [% FOREACH file = dir.list -%] [% IF file.isdir -%] * [% file.name %] [% file.scan -%] [% INCLUDE showdir dir=file FILTER indent(4) -%] [% ELSE -%] - [% f.name %] [% END -%] [% END -%] [% END %] This example is adapted (with some re-formatting for clarity) from a test in t/directry.t which produces the following output: * test/dir - file1 - file2 * sub_one - bar - foo * sub_two - waz.html - wiz.html - xyzfile The "recurse" flag can be set (disabled by default) to cause the constructor to automatically recurse down into all sub-directories, creating a new "Template::Plugin::Directory" object for each one and filling it with any further content. In this case there is no need to explicitly call the "scan()" method. [% USE dir = Directory(dirpath, recurse=1) %] ... [% IF file.isdir -%] * [% file.name %] [% INCLUDE showdir dir=file FILTER indent(4) -%] [% ELSE -%] ... The directory plugin also provides support for views. A view can be defined as a "VIEW ... END" block and should contain "BLOCK" definitions for files ('"file"') and directories ('"directory"'). [% VIEW myview %] [% BLOCK file %] - [% item.name %] [% END %] [% BLOCK directory %] * [% item.name %] [% item.content(myview) FILTER indent %] [% END %] [% END %] The view "print()" method can then be called, passing the "Directory" object as an argument. [% USE dir = Directory(dirpath, recurse=1) %] [% myview.print(dir) %] When a directory is presented to a view, either as "[% myview.print(dir) %]" or "[% dir.present(view) %]", then the "directory" "BLOCK" within the "myview" "VIEW" is processed. The "item" variable will be set to alias the "Directory" object. [% BLOCK directory %] * [% item.name %] [% item.content(myview) FILTER indent %] [% END %] In this example, the directory name is first printed and the content(view) method is then called to present each item within the directory to the view. Further directories will be mapped to the "directory" block, and files will be mapped to the "file" block. With the recurse option disabled, as it is by default, the "directory" block should explicitly call a "scan()" on each directory. [% VIEW myview %] [% BLOCK file %] - [% item.name %] [% END %] [% BLOCK directory %] * [% item.name %] [% item.scan %] [% item.content(myview) FILTER indent %] [% END %] [% END %] [% USE dir = Directory(dirpath) %] [% myview.print(dir) %] AUTHORS
Michael Stevens wrote the original Directory plugin on which this is based. Andy Wardley split it into separate File and Directory plugins, added some extra code and documentation for "VIEW" support, and made a few other minor tweaks. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Michael Stevens, Andy Wardley. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin, Template::Plugin::File, Template::View perl v5.12.1 2008-11-13 Template::Plugin::Directory(3)