Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting substring from a file name Post 302272321 by KenJackson on Tuesday 30th of December 2008 09:05:23 AM
Old 12-30-2008
Try this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
F=abc.txt
F1="${F%.*}_1.${F##*.}"
echo "F1=$F1"

The "%.*" (percent period asterisk) strips off exactly one period and the remaining characters from the end.
The "##*." (pound pound asterisk period) strips off all characters up to the last period plus the period from the front.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from string

Hi awk and sed gurus, Please help me in the following. I have the following entries in the file ABCDErules AbHDPrules ABCrules -- -- and other entries in the file. Now, I want to extract from the file that contain entries for *rules and process it separately. How can i do it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring from a string in unix

Hi, I would like to extract a substring from a string in unix. eg: ./checkfile.sh -- i need only checkfile.sh from this string. Could someone help me out in this... Regards Arun (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring

Hi, I have string in variable like '/u/dolfin/in/DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010' and i want to conevrt this string into only "DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010" (i.e file name). Is there any command to extracting string in some part ?(rather than whole path)? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting substring between pattern only one time

Hello ifconfig return : eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 11:24:1D:C1:99:BA inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:37307 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in extracting the substring in UNIX

Hi all, I need to extract the "abcdef" from the below string Digital_abcdef_20130103.txt.gz The length of the "abcdef" will be changing but it will be always after the word Digital_ and before the second underscore help in this regard is highly appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rithushri
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting a substring from the input string

Hi, I am new to Unix. I am trying to extract a substring from an input string: Ex - input string: deploy_v11_9_1 i want to extract and store the value v11_9_1 from the input string in a new variable. I am using following command in my shell script file: echo "Enter the folder name u... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Extracting whole word containing substring

hello. I get this text when using some command : S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository --+-----------------+---------+---------+------+------------- | AdobeReader_enu | package | 9.5.4-1 | i486 | zypper_local I need to get "AdobeReader_enu" from the the pattern "Ado"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring from Line

Hi All I have a line which is as below 1234567 Gagan Paswani zz23432 1000000000 1000000000 ASTHEYXX-RTUC zz23432 I need to extract the first occurence of zz23432 which will have the reg expression as {2}{5} Could you please assist as to how I can extract this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashantckc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from variable

Hi All, I'm facing issue wherein I have 2 character string like 'CR' and 'DR' and I want to extract just 1st character but am unable to do it. I tried below options but they are returning me 2nd character only, var="CR" echo ${var:1} returns just "R" echo ${var:0} returns "CR" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindshukla81
5 Replies
PCRE_GET_NAMED_SUBSTRING(3)				     Library Functions Manual				       PCRE_GET_NAMED_SUBSTRING(3)

NAME
PCRE - Perl-compatible regular expressions SYNOPSIS
#include <pcre.h> int pcre_get_named_substring(const pcre *code, const char *subject, int *ovector, int stringcount, const char *stringname, const char **stringptr); int pcre16_get_named_substring(const pcre16 *code, PCRE_SPTR16 subject, int *ovector, int stringcount, PCRE_SPTR16 stringname, PCRE_SPTR16 *stringptr); DESCRIPTION
This is a convenience function for extracting a captured substring by name. The arguments are: code Compiled pattern subject Subject that has been successfully matched ovector Offset vector that pcre[16]_exec() used stringcount Value returned by pcre[16]_exec() stringname Name of the required substring stringptr Where to put the string pointer The memory in which the substring is placed is obtained by calling pcre[16]_malloc(). The convenience function pcre[16]_free_substring() can be used to free it when it is no longer needed. The yield of the function is the length of the extracted substring, PCRE_ERROR_NOMEMORY if sufficient memory could not be obtained, or PCRE_ERROR_NOSUBSTRING if the string name is invalid. There is a complete description of the PCRE native API in the pcreapi page and a description of the POSIX API in the pcreposix page. PCRE_GET_NAMED_SUBSTRING(3)