Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: for loop doesn't work
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting for loop doesn't work Post 302272188 by naw_deepak on Tuesday 30th of December 2008 12:39:35 AM
Old 12-30-2008
Hi Nilesh/Jaduks,
Thanks for quick suggestions. You guys are making this forum more relevent. Keeping helping like this. Thanks a ton again.

Deepak

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why script For...Loop doesn't work. Seek help

I have written a script to run on UNIX server. When I tested, it always hanged on after "date +"%D %T: XXXXXX script started." part. Then it wouldn't go further. UNIX server gave me one error message. I used the same code in another script. It works fine. I think the major problem may be in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lipo doesn't work

Hi guys, Am using lipo to merge ppc and i386 version of a static/dylib file based on "file type to load". I am working on Mac OS 10.5.6 and new to shell scripting. Please help me out. This is my code. echo "This file combine ppc and i386 file to form universal library" echo "source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwesh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -XXX with grep doesn't work in while loop

Hi all, I need some help. my shell script doesn't work especially in the loop. #!/bin/sh -xv export ORA_ADMIN=/oracle/home/admin export ORACLE_SID=ORA_SID cat ${ORA_ADMIN}/param_alert_log.ora | while read MSG do #echo $MSG #echo "tail -400... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidobre
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work in loop but does if not

I have a script that only works if I remove it from the looping scenario. #!/bin/bash # Set the field seperator to a newline ##IFS=" ##" # Loop through the file ##for line in `cat nlist.txt`;do # put the line into a variable. ##dbuser=$line echo "copying plugin..." ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugeye
6 Replies

7. Solaris

shutdown -y -i5 -g0 DOESN'T work

hello, The command above seems not working on my solaris 8/9 sparc machines. a. resulted to the ff below when I instead use "shutdown" only. Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on "hostname" date.. The system "hostname" will be shut down in 30 seconds THE SYSTEM bdosg IS BEING SHUT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why my awk doesn't work?

root@SDP_Wildcat_Pass-3-C1:~# cat /proc/driver/rtc rtc_time : 05:29:40 rtc_date : 2014-12-19 alrm_time : 01:51:53 alrm_date : 2014-12-20 alarm_IRQ : no alrm_pending : no update IRQ enabled : no periodic IRQ enabled : no periodic IRQ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)