Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LPAR and vio disk mapping
Operating Systems AIX LPAR and vio disk mapping Post 302272067 by Padow on Monday 29th of December 2008 03:05:47 PM
Old 12-29-2008
If you are using SAN and your servers are set up properly, the disks will be served by both VIO servers.

You can log into the vio servers and use switches with the lsmap command to view disk mappings.
Padow

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Help urgent : vio server - add extral disk on virtual lpar

Hi, I define 2 new LV on the vio server and run a cfgmgr on the partition and see my 2 new hdisk (hdisk6 and hdisk7). I extend my vg vg000 (on the partition) and add the 2 hdisks. I had a filesystem on the vg000 and when I added the disk I would like to increase the filesystem. But I cannot do a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
0 Replies

2. AIX

Restoring mksysb to vio lpar?

I have a standard template I deploy for each of my AIX servers. It's in a mksysb format which I pulled via the nim server after I originally set it up. I'm trying to restore this mksysb over the wire to a remote system. The remote system is an lpar running under vio (no HMC attached). The disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix VIO vs Dynamic LPAR

Can you have a Dynamic LPAR without VIO and if yes is there a benefit to having both? I am attempting to implement VIO and Resource pooling at my company and want to understand the limitations. Also, I have been told the managing and allocation of the Logical Volumes is a time consuming task as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombers73
0 Replies

4. AIX

Problem mapping LUN disk from VIOS to the LPAR

Hello guys, It would be so nice of you if someone can provide me with these informations. 1) My SAN group assigned 51G of LUN space to the VIO server.I ran cfgdev to discover the newly added LUN. Unfortunately most of the disks that are in VIO server is 51G. How would I know which is the newly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

5. AIX

VIO Backing Disk LPAR how to find which one ?

hello Folks, my vio: $ lsmap -all SVSA Physloc Client Partition ID --------------- -------------------------------------------- ------------------ vhost0 U9117.MMA.6534BE4-V2-C11 0x00000003 VTD ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

6. AIX

LPAR and AIX VIO Disk Mappring for Linux Clients

VIO Server is managing both AIX Clients and Linux Clients. For AIX Clients, we could do a disk mapping from slot numbers to VIO and also uname -L to determine the lparid and serial number frame its running on. From a Linux Client, How do I know which IBM frame its running on? Any command to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpangulu
4 Replies

7. AIX

LPAR - What is my VIO (hostname, IP, ...)

I am wondering if there is a command I can run from **with-in** LPAR server (server01) to find out the hostname or IP address or other parameters for VIO server in charge of server01? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ms1232
1 Replies

8. AIX

Possible to connect a LPAR to two different VIO's?

Just a question which may seem dumb to some out there, but then again I am not a super technie so that's my excuse. Is it possible to say provision a test AIX LPAR (has a 10gb boot lun and 20gb data) under a VIO which has connectivity to SAN Array A so it can see the disks provisioned to it,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnny1314
2 Replies

9. AIX

VIO server does not show new LPAR

Hi All, I've been trying to create a new LPAR for some days now but I can't get the VIO server to recognize the new LPAR. This is what I did: On HMC create new LPAR On HMC create new virtual scsi adapter for LPAR in VIO profile On HMC add new virtual scsi adapter for LPAR with DLPAR... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
6 Replies

10. AIX

VIO and LPAR disk/fcs communications

:wall::wall::wall: 1. I have created an LPAR in the HMC. 2. I have allocated the storage from an Hitachi AMS2500 and assigned it to the host group. 3. I have zoned the LPAR and Storage on a Brocade 5100. (The zone sees the AMS) Next I activated the LPAR in the HMC, SMS mode for the mksysb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dallasguy7
3 Replies
nisping(1M)															       nisping(1M)

NAME
nisping - send ping to NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisping [-uf] [-H hostname] [-r | directory] /usr/lib/nis/nisping -C [-a] [-H hostname] [directory] In the first line, the nisping command sends a ``ping'' to all replicas of an NIS+ directory. Once a replica receives a ping, it will check with the master server for the directory to get updates. Prior to pinging the replicas, this command attempts to determine the last update "seen" by a replica and the last update logged by the master. If these two timestamps are the same, the ping is not sent. The -f (force) option will override this feature. Under normal circumstances, NIS+ replica servers get the new information from the master NIS+ server within a short time. Therefore, there should not be any need to use nisping. In the second line, the nisping -C command sends a checkpoint request to the servers. If no directory is specified, the home domain, as returned by nisdefaults(1), is checkpointed. If all directories, served by a given server, have to be checkpointed, then use the -a option. On receiving a checkpoint request, the servers would commit all the updates for the given directory from the table log files to the data- base files. This command, if sent to the master server, will also send updates to the replicas if they are out of date. This option is needed because the database log files for NIS+ are not automatically checkpointed. nisping should be used at frequent intervals (such as once a day) to checkpoint the NIS+ database log files. This command can be added to the crontab(1) file. If the database log files are not checkpointed, their sizes will continue to grow. If the server specified by the -H option does not serve the directory, then no ping is sent. Per-server and per-directory access restrictions may apply; see nisopaccess(1). nisping uses NIS_CPTIME and NIS_PING (resync (ping) of replicas), or NIS_CHECKPOINT (for checkpoint). Since the NIS_PING operation does not return a status, the nisping command is typically unable to indicate success or failure for resyncs. -a Checkpoint all directories on the server. -C Send a request to checkpoint, rather than a ping, to each server. The servers schedule to commit all the transactions to stable storage. -H hostname Only the host hostname is sent the ping, checked for an update time, or checkpointed. -f Force a ping, even though the timestamps indicate there is no reason to do so. This option is useful for debugging. -r This option can be used to update or get status about the root object from the root servers, especially when new root replicas are added or deleted from the list. If used without -u option, -r will send a ping request to the servers serving the root domain. When the replicas receive a ping, they will update their root object if needed. The -r option can be used with all other options except with the -C option; the root object need not be checkpointed. -u Display the time of the last update; no servers are sent a ping. -1 No servers were contacted, or the server specified by the -H switch could not be contacted. 0 Success. 1 Some, but not all, servers were successfully contacted. Example 1: Using nisping This example pings all replicas of the default domain: example% nisping Note that this example will not ping the org_dir and groups_dir subdirectories within this domain. This example pings the server example which is a replica of the org_dir.foo.com. directory: example% nisping -H example org_dir.foo.com. This example checkpoints all servers of the org_dir.bar.com. directory. example% nisping -C org_dir.bar.com. NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ directory name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the directory is found. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ crontab(1), nisdefaults(1), nisopaccess(1), nislog(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. 12 Dec 2001 nisping(1M)