Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lost home directory
Operating Systems Solaris lost home directory Post 302272040 by reborg on Monday 29th of December 2008 11:42:30 AM
Old 12-29-2008
Are you using NIS/LDAP or similar name services ie. what do you have in /etc/nsswitch.conf ?

Also do you have any idea where the backing filesystem is for the home directories, and is it local or remote?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

c++ home directory??

when i compile *.cpp files the compiler didn't find the non standart includes.If i have to put the full path of the includet files where shall i begin from root dirctory or i heve to put includet files in cpp home directory??? can i compile java files in unix(linux mandrake 7) if yes haw... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user666
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost+found directory

what is the directory "lost+found" and how is it used? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ben070371
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cd into home directory ~

I'm trying to cd into a home directory with cd ~username_here and I'm getting the following error: ~username_here: does not exist The directory exists and I can directly go to it via cd /export/home/username_here without any problems. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Deleted Lost+Found directory

If you delete your lost & found directory, how do you get it back, just do a mkdir? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Deletion of Data from Lost+Found Directory

Hie I am running a sun solaris server of about 300 gigabytes disk capacity. The problem is that the machine has been having problems over the past year and at times the machine would just freeze or hang and had to be re-booted. Consequently there are too many entries in the lost+found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ranganai
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost /home/directory for users

I'm using HPUX 11i. The other day a user logon to the workstation and was not able to find the /home/directory (tom is the directory) I login myself and it is the same thing. The home directory is on the server, so I was thinking of using sam to map it again. does anyone know how to do it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blizzgamer
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

home directory

hello i want shell script. as root , i want to untar specific.tar.gz to all home user directory and after untar , there is 1.txt 2.txt ~~ 26.txt in/public_html/test1/ i want randomly selected 6 text files in 1.txt 2.txt ~26.txt to be renamed newword1.word , newword2.word , ~~... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
getpublickey(3N)														  getpublickey(3N)

NAME
getpublickey(), getsecretkey(), publickey - retrieve public or secret key SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
and get public and secret keys for netname. The key may come from one of the following sources: the file (see publickey(4)), the NIS map or entries in the LDAP directory. The sources and their lookup order are specified in the file (see nsswitch.conf(4)). has an extra argument, passwd, which is used to decrypt the encrypted secret key stored in the database. MULTITHREAD USAGE
Thread Safe: Yes Cancel Safe: Yes Fork Safe: No Async-cancel Safe: No Async-signal Safe: No These functions can be called safely in a multithreaded environment. They may be cancellation points in that they call functions that are cancel points. In a multithreaded environment, these functions are not safe to be called by a child process after and before These functions should not be called by a multithreaded application that supports asynchronous cancellation or asynchronous signals. RETURN VALUE
Both routines return if they are successful in finding the key, (zero) otherwise. The keys are returned as NULL-terminated, hexadecimal strings. If the password supplied to fails to decrypt the secret key, the routine will return but the secretkey[0] will be set to NULL. WARNINGS
HP-UX 11i Version 2 is the last HP-UX release on which NIS+ is supported. LDAP is the recommended replacement for NIS+. HP fully supports the industry standard naming services based on LDAP. SEE ALSO
secure_rpc(3N), nsswitch.conf(4), publickey(4). getpublickey(3N)