Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting the file only to all the directory and sub directory Post 302271978 by s93366 on Monday 29th of December 2008 08:05:26 AM
Old 12-29-2008
make sure you are in the correct directory before issuing the command:

rm -rf *

will remove all files and directories.

use with care!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting A Directory!

This must be simple! How do you delete a directory that contains other files and directories?:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefinger
2 Replies

2. Programming

problem deleting date-time stamped file in a directory

I have a number of files of the format filename.xfr_mmddyy_%H%M%S which i get in a specified directory daily. Now i want to search in the specified directory & delete the files which are more than 2 days old .So I use a command find $DIR/backup/* -ctime +2 -exec rm -f {} \; But after executing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dharmesht
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the oldest file in a directory

Hey! I have found similar posts both here and on other sites regarding this, but I cannot seem to get my script to work. I want to delete the oldest file in a test directory if there are more than two files. My script is currently: #!/bin/bash MEPATH=/usr/local/bin/test FILECOUNT=`ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Immolation
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a type of file in a directory immediately it occurs

Hi All, I have to maintain few servers and in those servers in a specific directory some special jobs keeps on running ....... The directory is having many kind of files like.....acd*, hud*, rca*....bla bla bla....... My aim is that if due to any job-any time a file having initials like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendra.pat04
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a directory and zipping another directory

Hi Folks, I have a directory in unix that is /usr/local/pos contain the folowing directoreis ..that is dir1 dir2 dir3 now I want to delete only dir2 please advise how to remove the directory dir 2 ..that is rm command and how to use it , and second if I want to zip the dir3 please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting-I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory

I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory. If it finds a file in directory, it should search for few specific keyword in the file. if the keyword exists, it should trim string from specific column. The file should be moved to another directory and the a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
8 Replies

9. AIX

Deleting a Directory

I have a directory under my home directory called: my work. I cannot delete this directory and I want to. If anyone needs additional information. Please let me know. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nerdgirl1313
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)