Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wipe a Sunfire V480
Operating Systems Solaris Wipe a Sunfire V480 Post 302271920 by slowatsch on Monday 29th of December 2008 04:53:16 AM
Old 12-29-2008
Wipe a Sunfire V480

Hi Guys

I'm new here in these forums and also in Sun Solaris/Sun hardware related things.

I have some really basic questions about the way to go for "wipe" a Sun Solaris system.

I have to sell a used Sunfire v480 and I wan't to wipe the old sytem before selling it. But I'm not sure if I can just erase/wipe all the partitions on the disk. Are there any special partition/settings that shouldn't be erased?

I visited the Sun Links on the top of this forum. But the Sun Forum seems to be down/broken atm. Someone knows any other good support site for Sun Server related questions? Well I'm allready stuck on how to boot a Sunfire from cd-rom drive Smilie Or is there an irc-channel for such things where I can get some really basic support?

greets Slowatsch

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

V480 w/ Solaris 9 boot problem

Our V480 w/ Solaris 9 would not boot properly. After recreating the LUNs on our StorEdge A1000, and then performing a reboot, the machine just keep cycling through the boot process. No error messages, it keeps trying to reboot over and over again. Any ideas? We managed to do a stop+a and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
6 Replies

2. Solaris

What do you use to wipe your disks?

What are y'all using to wipe your solaris disks? I am being question by IT Security, what I am using to wipe disk. Is anyone using a 3rd party utility? I have used the format utility in solaris previously. But they are looking for something commercial that I can use. Anyone have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Telnet issue E5500/V480

Our old E5500 was just turned off (planned :rolleyes: ) and the application was moved to a V480. Now if I login to the V480 and try to sudo to root my connection hangs, and I can not telnet to the E5500 after it was powered on again. I get "connection refused". Telnet to this machine was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
5 Replies

4. Solaris

PCI slot info on V480/V490

Hi, How can I know slot wise info on a sun v480 box. I want to have the details like which slot has which card (slot 1- HBA, slot 2 - quad NIC) .. I know that sysdef, prtconf or prtdiag outputs will help to get this. But I dont know how to conclude from those outputs. Can anybody help me to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasu2020
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reommendations for hp-ux wipe software

I am looking for software to do DoD compiliant wipes on Hp-Ux. Thank you in advance for any recommendations provided. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jim15800
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wipe software for Hp-ux

I am looking for recommendations on DOD compliante software to wipe disk on HP-UX. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any assistance provided. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jim15800
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 on v480 & v490

Hello, Can any kind soul please answer this? I want to boot a SunFire v490 with a dvd image we use to boot v480's. Is this possible? Are there caveats to doing this? Thanks muchly, mgb (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgb
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

How do I wipe stdout?

Today I used Terminal (invoked from Mac OS X 10.4.11) to view some data that is secured by a password. After exiting Terminal, it occurred to me that a vestige of the data displayed on my screen might reside in memory or in disk file ... the actual file used for stdout, for example. Do I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dcollins
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Wipe tool for HP-UX

Hi, Please suggest wipe tool for hp-ux. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris box completely wipe

HI, I woluld like to know is it possible to boot solairs into single usermode from cd and using format -> purge command to wipe all the disk? please suggest or any other method ? my requirement is to completely wipe solaris box. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies
Info::Layer3::Sun(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Info::Layer3::Sun(3pm)

NAME
SNMP::Info::Layer3::Sun - SNMP Interface to L3 Sun Solaris AUTHOR
begemot SYNOPSIS
# Let SNMP::Info determine the correct subclass for you. my $sun = new SNMP::Info( AutoSpecify => 1, Debug => 1, DestHost => 'mysunrouter', Community => 'public', Version => 1 ) or die "Can't connect to DestHost. "; my $class = $sun->class(); print "SNMP::Info determined this device to fall under subclass : $class "; DESCRIPTION
Subclass for Generic Sun Routers running SunOS Inherited Classes SNMP::Info::Layer3 Required MIBs Inherited Classes' MIBs See "Required MIBs" in SNMP::Info::Layer3 for its own MIB requirements. GLOBALS
These are methods that return scalar value from SNMP $sun->vendor() Returns 'sun' $sun->os() Returns 'sun' $sun->os_ver() Returns the software version extracted from message of the day. $sun->model() Returns 'Solaris Router' $sun->serial() Returns serial number Globals imported from SNMP::Info::Layer3 See documentation in "GLOBALS" in SNMP::Info::Layer3 for details. TABLE METHODS
These are methods that return tables of information in the form of a reference to a hash. Overrides $sun->i_ignore() Returns reference to hash. Increments value of IID if port is to be ignored. Ignores loopback Table Methods imported from SNMP::Info::Layer3 See documentation in "TABLE METHODS" in SNMP::Info::Layer3 for details. perl v5.12.4 2011-09-28 Info::Layer3::Sun(3pm)