Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity found exploit mailserver through mailq? Post 302271821 by reborg on Sunday 28th of December 2008 10:43:35 AM
Old 12-28-2008
The first thing to try would be something like: Email Server Test - Online SMTP diagnostics tool to see if you are suffering from any of the normal exploits.

Secondly make sure you don't have any web based services ( browser forms etc. ) that could be used to submit mail, these can easily bypass authentication by sending as a local user if not properly secured.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

mailserver

hi I want to setup pop3 server, so i can accept incoming mail with my own domainname for example stormpie@my-domain.org the unix server is in a windows2000 network, behind a win2000 router not in domain, how can i do this?? plz help me greetz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stormpie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailq

Dear guys !! Problems do not finish .. i have sun solaries 7 ,, ultra2 ,, mail server .. am checking server mailq now and it is loaded ,, so many requests up to 300 request . i checked netstat and did not find many or starnge smtp packets . but when i execute mailq i get mailq as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailserver problems.

I seem to be having some troubles with my mailserver. Sendmail is working properly as far as I can tell, and so is IMAP and POP3, but whenever I try to log in via IMAP or POP3 I get an incorrect password error even though Iam using the proper password. Ive even tried telnet which yields this: $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

4. Linux

mailserver

I have a mail server that I have just finished setting up and now the problem is telneting to it from a window desktop which is on the same network. Ive edited etc/mail/sendmail.mc by removing the loopback address with my desktop IP. then I restarted my service mail: shutting down sendmail: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keliy1
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK and mailq

I need a simple script to parse the output of the mailq command and find emails from overseas addresses and delete them (ie user@xxx.co.uk, user@xxx.yyy.jp). I found something close: mailq | tail +2 | awk 'BEGIN { RS = "" } / *.co.uk / {print $1} ' | tr -d '*!' | postsuper -d - but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Retski
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx, why all my mail goes to mailq?

Hi, I sending mail like this: mailx -s "test" -r "from@me.com" to@you.com and I have update the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf with: DSsmtp-relay-nx-vip.xxx.yyy.com (this path is working on the old server) But all I mail goes to queue. What do I miss here? Regards Mehrdad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to configure mailserver

Hi All, Can you please help me in configuring mail server on Solaris 10? Will appreciate if I can get some link which can explain the steps Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
3 Replies

8. Linux

configure mailserver

Hi , I am using windows xp as my web server and domain hosting with godaddy.com My issue is , i want to create mailserver in linux for my website is it possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harishindn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script with mailq

Hi All, I'm a unix starter.. Need your help please. I need to write a simple shell script to implement mail queue size check. Pseudo code: Run mailq command If the queue size is greater than the predefined parameter (say 10), print message like : CRITICAL: Mail queue is XX . And exit 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vegabond
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailq regex match

Hi, # mailq | awk '{match($0, /quota/)} {print $0}' | head -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient------- 9A6A7DE117E 84309 Sat Sep 30 14:14:50 alerts-noreply+xxxxx=xxx.sg@xxx.xx.xxx (host alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com said: 452-4.2.2 The email account that you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
2 Replies
MAILER.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    MAILER.CONF(5)

NAME
mailer.conf -- configuration file for mailwrapper(8) DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/mailer.conf contains a series of lines of the form name program [arguments ...] The first word of each line is the name of a program invoking mailwrapper(8). (For example, on a typical system /usr/sbin/sendmail would be a symbolic link to mailwrapper(8), as would newaliases(1) and mailq(1). Thus, name might be ``sendmail'' or ``newaliases'' etc.) The second word of each line is the name of the program to actually execute when the first name is invoked. The further arguments, if any, are passed to the program, followed by the arguments mailwrapper(8) was called with. The file may also contain comment lines, denoted by a '#' mark in the first column of any line. The default mailer is postfix(1), which will also start by default (unless specifically disabled via an rc.conf(5) setting) so that locally generated mail can be delivered, if the ``sendmail'' setting in /etc/mailer.conf is set to ``/usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail''. FILES
/etc/mailer.conf EXAMPLES
This example shows how to set up mailer.conf to invoke the postfix(1) program: sendmail /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail mailq /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail newaliases /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail This example shows the use of the mini-sendmail package from pkgsrc in place of postfix(1): # Send outgoing mail to a smart relay using mini-sendmail sendmail /usr/pkg/sbin/mini-sendmail -srelayhost send-mail /usr/pkg/sbin/mini-sendmail -srelayhost Note the use of additional arguments. SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), postfix(1), mailwrapper(8) pkgsrc/mail/sendmail, pkgsrc/mail/mini_sendmail HISTORY
mailer.conf appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the ``behave differently if invoked with a different name'' behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
April 10, 2010 BSD