Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove text between headers while leaving headers intact Post 302271745 by Christoph Spohr on Saturday 27th of December 2008 07:06:25 PM
Old 12-27-2008
This should give you all the info you need:

Code:
http://www.catonmat.net/blog/sed-one-liners-explained-part-one/
http://www.catonmat.net/blog/sed-one-liners-explained-part-two/

Code:
sed '/[[]Header 1]/,/[[]Header 2]/{/Header 2/!d}' file

means: search for the text between [Header 1] and [Header 2]. The
construct [[] is used to escape the "[" character. If "Header 1"
and "Header 2" are found, delete everything except the line containg
the string Header 2.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help:how to remove headers in output file

Hi I am running a script (which compares two directory contents) for which I am getting an output of 70 pages in which few pages are blank so I was able to delete those blank lines. But I also want to delete the headers present for each page. can any one help me by providing the code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj_thota
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Headers throughout a data file

I have a data file with over 500,000 records/lines that has the header throughout the file. SEQ_ID Name Start_Date Ins_date Add1 Add2 1 Harris 04/02/08 03/02/08 333 Main Suite 101 2 Smith 02/03/08 01/23/08 287 Jenkins SEQ_ID Name ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: psmall
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove certain headers using mailx or sendmail

Hello, So i want to send mails in any way from a solaris 5.8 system, perhaps using mailx or sendmail. My purpose is to stay clear of systems name in head data. So i want to strip at least the "Message-Id" and the "Recieved" headers of the mail. Yet this seems to be a bit of a problem. Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: congo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of files with different headers to make combined headers file

Hi , I have a typical situation. I have 4 files and with different headers (number of headers is varible ). I need to make such a merged file which will have headers combined from all files (comman coluns should appear once only). For example - File 1 H1|H2|H3|H4 11|12|13|14 21|22|23|23... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marut_ashu
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed remove two headers; writing more elegant code

Hi there, I have two questions. First, I was wondering how to use sed to remove two header lines or two tail lines. Here I just do the same operation twice...I'm sure there is a better way. Second, and more importantly, is there a better way to have these operations use files other than... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove interspersed headers in .dat file with AWK

Heya there, A small selection of my data is shown below. DATE TIME FRAC_DAYS_SINCE_JAN1 2011-06-25 08:03:20.000 175.33564815 2011-06-25 08:03:25.000 175.33570602 2011-06-25 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd9629
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed command to remove multiple instances of repeating headers in one file?

Hi, I have catenated multiple output files (from a monte carlo run) into one big output file. Each individual file has it's own two line header. So when I catenate, there are multiple two line headers (of the same wording) within the big file. How do I use the sed command to search for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rebazon
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster command to remove headers for files in a directory

Good evening Im new at unix shell scripting and im planning to script a shell that removes headers for about 120 files in a directory and each file contains about 200000 lines in average. i know i will loop files to process each one and ive found in this great forum different solutions... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove headers thar dont match

Good evening I need your help please, im new at Unix and i wanted to remove the first 5 headers for 100000 records files and then create a control file .ctl that contains the number of records and all seem to work out but when i tested at production it didnt wotk. Here is the code: #!... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove white space and duplicate headers

I have a file called "dsout" with empty rows and duplicate headers. DATE TIME TOTAL_GB USED_GB %USED --------- -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- 03/05/013 12:34 PM 3151.24316 2331.56653 73.988785 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies
HOBBITWEB(5)							File Formats Manual						      HOBBITWEB(5)

NAME
Xymon web page headers, footers and forms. DESCRIPTION
The Xymon webpages are somewhat customizable, by modifying the header- and footer-templates found in the ~xymon/server/web/ directory. There are usually two or more files for a webpage: A template_header file which is the header for this webpage, and a template_footer file which is the footer. Webpages where entry forms are used have a template_form file which is the data-entry form. With the exception of the bulletin files, the header files are inserted into the HTML code at the very beginning and the footer files are inserted at the bottom. The following templates are available: bulletin A bulletin_header and bulletin_footer is not shipped with Xymon, but if they exist then the content of these files will be inserted in all HTML documents generated by Xymon. The "bulletin_header" contents will appear after the normal header for the webpage, and the "bulletin_footer" will appear just before the normal footer for the webpage. These files can be used to post important informa- tion about the Xymon system, e.g. to notify users of current operational or monitoring problems. acknowledge Header, footer and form template for the Xymon acknowledge alert webpage generated by bb-ack.cgi(1) bb Header and footer for the Xymon Main view webpages, generated by bbgen(1) bb2 Header and footer for the Xymon All non-green view webpage, generated by bbgen(1) bbnk Header and footer for the now deprecated BBNK webpage, generated by bbgen. You should use the newer hobbit-nkview.cgi(1) utility instead, which uses the hobbitnk templates. bbrep Header and footer for the Xymon Main view availability report webpages, generated by bbgen(1) when running in availability report mode. bbsnap Header and footer for the Xymon Main view snapshot webpages, generated by bbgen(1) when running in snapshot report mode. bbsnap2 Header and footer for the Xymon All non-green view snapshot webpage, generated by bbgen(1) when running in snapshot report mode. columndoc Header and footer for the Xymon Column documentation webpages, generated by the bb-csvinfo.cgi(1) utility in the default Xymon con- figuration. confreport Header and footer for the Xymon Configuration report webpage, generated by the hobbit-confreport.cgi(1) utility. Note that there are also "confreport_front" and "confreport_back" templates, these are inserted into the generated report before the hostlist, and before the column documentation, respectively. event Header, footer and form for the Xymon Eventlog report, generated by hobbit-eventlog.cgi(1) findhost Header, footer and form for the Xymon Find host webpage, generated by bb-findhost.cgi(1) graphs Header and footer for the Xymon Graph details webpages, generated by hobbitgraph.cgi(1) hist Header and footer for the Xymon History webpage, generated by bb-hist.cgi(1) histlog Header and footer for the Xymon Historical status-log webpage, generated by hobbitsvc.cgi(1) utility when used to show a historical (non-current) status log. hobbitnk Header and footer for the Xymon Critical Systems view webpage, generated by hobbit-nkview.cgi(1) hostsvc Header and footer for the Xymon Status-log webpage, generated by hobbitsvc.cgi(1) utility when used to show a current status log. info Header and footer for the Xymon Info column webpage, generated by hobbitsvc.cgi(1) utility when used to show the host configuration page. maintact Header and footer for the Xymon webpage, generated by hobbit-enadis.cgi(1) utility when using the Enable/Disable "preview" mode. maint Header, footer and form for the Xymon Enable/disable webpage, generated by hobbit-enadis.cgi(1) nkack Form show on the status-log webpage when viewed from the "Critical Systems" overview. This form is used to acknowledge a critical status by the operators monitoring the Critical Systems view. nkedit Header, footer and form for the Critical Systems Editor, the hobbit-nkedit.cgi(1) utility. replog Header and footer for the Xymon Report status-log webpage, generated by hobbitsvc.cgi(1) utility when used to show a status log for an availability report. report Header, footer and forms for selecting a pre-generated Availability Report. Handled by the bb-datepage.cgi(1) utility. snapshot Header and footer for the Xymon Snapshot report selection webpage, generated by bb-snapshot.cgi(1) SEE ALSO
bbgen(1), hobbitsvc.cgi(1), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITWEB(5)