Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to move the first line of a file to the end Post 302271661 by danmero on Saturday 27th of December 2008 12:21:02 AM
Old 12-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altay_H
Code:
#!/bin/bash
var=`awk 'NR==1{store=$0;next}1;END{print store}' list.txt`
echo $var > list.txt

What about:
Code:
echo "$var" > list.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on shell script : syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected

Hi All, I have written a korn script (code pasted below). It is giving the error while debugging "new.sh: syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected". I have re-written the whole code in VI and explored all help related to this error on this Unix forum and tried it. Somehow, I could... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to move two lines to the end of a file

My input file is multiline file and I am writing a script to search for a pattern and move the line with the pattern and the next line to the end of the file. Since I am trying to learn awk, I thought I would try it. My input looks like the following: D #testpoint 1 510.0 D #testpoint2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: banjo25
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a line to end of file

Can somebody help me with a script .... Read a file /etc/inittab find the string starting with rcml and move it entirely towards the end of file. rcml:2:once:/usr/sni/aix52/rc.ml > /dev/console 2>&1 I basically want to change the startup sequence. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imanuk2007
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to move a line after the matched pattern line

I have the following text format in a file which lists the question first and then 5 choices after that the explanantion and finally the answer. 1.The amount of time it takes for most of a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanchil_guy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with shell script to append to the end of a specific line in a file on multiple servers

Hi Folks, I was given a task to append three IP's at the end of a specific (and unique) line within a file on multiple servers. I was not able to do that with the help of a script. All I could was: for i in server1 server2 server3 server4 do ssh $i done I know 'sed' could be used to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to move a word to the end of file

Hey guys, I want move a specific word from the middle of the text and move it the end of the file, which means I want the word to be deleted from it's line and moved to the end of file. I know how to use sed for adding a word the end of file, but I don't know how to move words. tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to move matched pattern to end of previous line

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been doing a lot of sed work lately and have found many useful tips on this forum. I've hit a roadblock in a project, though, and could really use some help. I have a text file with many lines like the following, i.e., some lines begin with a single word... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paroikoi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot execute/finish script because of last line syntax error: unexpected end of file/token `done'

first of all I thought the argument DONE is necessary for all scripts that have or begin with do statements which I have on my script, However, I still don't completely understand why I am receiving an error I tried adding another done argument statement but didn't do any good. I appreciate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)