Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting IDL job doesn't work from crontab Post 302271337 by caicainancy on Wednesday 24th of December 2008 10:07:03 PM
Old 12-24-2008
this is my solution:

1. for example , i have a idl runable program that is named ama, the path is /usr/local/itt/ama/

2. i create a file that is named cron.ama under /etc/

3. $ vi /etc/cron.ama,
# run ama at 12:30 everyday
30 12 * * * cd /usr/local/itt/ama/;./ama

4. $ crontab /etc/cron.ama

5. this all, you can use ps -ef to find the ama process at 12:30 , and work nomally until you kill it.

ps : $ crontab -e edit crontab
$ crontab -r rm cron which you add

Good Luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHINESE HOT DRAGON
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

my make doesn't work

hi I wrote the following makefile, I have just one problem, when i type make clean I get the message make 'clean' is up to date and any obj file is removed from my folder, what's wrong? Thank you CC = cc all: es.o elaboration.o $(CC) -o es es.o elaboration.o elaboration.o:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script doesn't work under crontab

Hi All, Using Expect script when I run it manually it works. But when I put the entry in crontab, the job is still running after 15 hours. The script was created as root. I don't think it's a permission issue. Any idea? This is what I have under root crontab... 00 18 * * 1-5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What to do when mtime doesn't work?

I have a folder that I need to search for new files and copy on the latest. I've been using "-mtime -1" in my command line but it doesn't seem to work. I've been meaning to fine a different script because files are dropped into the folder all day long and because of the -mtime, I've only be... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
19 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remsh doesn't work

Hi, I need to use remsh inside a ksh script. The script would remsh to another machine (maybe different OS) and then execute commands. A Simple Script: #!/usr/bin/ksh remsh sun7656 -l myuser "cd /user.3/MyFolder; ls -lart" But this gives me the error: permission denied I also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition doesn't work

i want to get the value for column 4rth when i =4. please guide what i am doing wrong. thanks var=`cat file.csv` for i in $var; do { if ; then var4=$var4+$i fi echo $i } done I am geting this error message "0403-009 The specified number is not valid for this command." (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Job runs manually, doesn't work in crontab

I have a script (/home/admin/run_bkup.sh) that I can run manually to kick off an executable job. I want to run it in crontab, but it doesn't work. Here's the script: shell=/bin/bash today=$(date +"%m-%d-%y") /opt/CPsuite-R77/fw1/bin/upgrade_tools/upgrade_export mgt-svr-bkup-$today << EOF y... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: df08388
18 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)