Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need to invoke a script upon arrival of a file Post 302271190 by dr.house on Wednesday 24th of December 2008 07:27:12 AM
Old 12-24-2008
I'd try either of the following:

1. create a cron job as user (not as root) - or -
2. create a script "running in circles" forever ...

Code:
while (true)
do
  # check folder
  # process file
  sleep # [time]
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File arrival status

If there is a file being transferred from one box to another box, How can one confirm on the 2nd box..that the file has arrived, and transfer is complete ? I mean in addition to checking the file exists, I want to confirm its transferred completely and not growing in size. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amsh76
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to invoke shell script

hi everybody, i learning unix now only.Can u pls guide me in invoking a shell script.Actually i need to know how to write the command for invoking the shell script.Suppose the shell file name is count , then how i will write the command. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopa_mani
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke same script twice

hey, can I invoke the same script twice simultaneously? I want both instances to run at the same time with different parameters. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to invoke a shell script from xml file.

hi all, forgive me if this question is not relevant to this section. i have a shell file that will automatically deploy the files that are necessary and will compile them. i need to automate this management process through cruise control, for this i need to know whether it is possible for me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to invoke a sh script from KSH

Hi all, Iam writing a KSH script which needs to export dispaly to Xwindows and then involke a sh script .. But a core file is getting genrated for reasons not known to me. Please check i need incorporate below mentioend code in my script which iam not abel to .. export DISPLAY=`who am i |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahman_riyaz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to get the arrival count of file

Hello All, I have come across a small problem. It would be great if any of you could help me in resolving the issue. one file named dummy.txt will be ftped to Unix machine twice daily. If i receive it second time in a day i need to do some processing with the file. How to find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

invoke one script based on previous script execution

I am database guy and not very good at shell scripts. I am seeking help to sharp my script coding. I have 5 scripts 1. master script. I use this one to call other four scripts to do database work. 2. db_backup_1 and log_backup_1 3. db_backup_2 and log_backup_2 in master script, I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need File arrival time(sftp) command

Hi All, I am getting some file through using sftp from another server to my server. I want know the exact file arrival time on my sytem I have tried stat command . it gives me the below details $ stat abc.txt File: `abc.txt Size: 24231 Blocks: 48 IO Block:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script shell calculate mean arrival request duration

hello, I have implemented this command : tshark -eth0 -T fiels -e frame.time et sip.Request-Line -z sip,stat > test2.txt the result of this command : test.txt: Aug 27, 2013 23:06:47.334270000 INVITE Aug 27, 2013 23:06:47.335045000 SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized Aug 27, 2013... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amouna
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Depend on Script message needs to be invoke anothe script

I have script below #! /bin/bash if then echo "JBoss is NOT running" else echo "JBoss is running" fi If JBoss is NOT running need to be invoke another script i.e jboss startup script /home/vizion/Desktop/jboss-4.2.3.GA/bin/run.sh script from other script not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
5 Replies
queuedefs(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and crontab SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by (see cron(1M)). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: [njob[nice[nwait The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue, such that is the default queue for jobs started by (see at(1)), is the queue for jobs started by (see at(1)), and is the queue for jobs run from a file (see crontab(1)). Queue names through designate user-defined queues. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue. Although any number can be specified here, (see cron(1M)) by default limits the number of jobs that can be run on all the queues to 100. This limitation can be removed by setting the variable to 1 in the file. nice The value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user (see nice(1)). The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because more than 100 jobs were running in all the queues (see njob above). EXAMPLES
Consider the following file: The file is interpreted as follows: The queue, for jobs (see at(1)), can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously, and those jobs will be run with a value of 1. Since no nwait value is given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it (see cron(1M)). The queue, for jobs (see at(1)), can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously. Those jobs will be run with a value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously. They will be run with a value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. SEE ALSO
at(1), nice(1), crontab(1), cron(1M), proto(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
queuedefs(4)