Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED * operator
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED * operator Post 302271163 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 24th of December 2008 03:45:12 AM
Old 12-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinpeak
Thanks to all for the replies.

To matrixmadhan :

Going by your reply -

"It should match zero or more characters in the character class [a-z]
it will match 'a', 'b', 'c' and not the next space character <' '> so just that part is replaced by 'X'"

I tried :-

echo "a 123 abc" | sed 's/[a-z]*/X/'
echo "ab 123 abc" | sed 's/[a-z]*/X/'
echo "abc 123 abc" | sed 's/[a-z]*/X/'

all gave the same output as : X 123 abc

From your reply and the above result I understand - "*" will always start checking from the left in the input string. If it does not find a match , 'X' is replaced at the very beginning of the input string and the job is done.

But if it does find a match , it ends trying to find another match AND 'X' is kept in place of the matched token/characters.

Would request you to please confirm/correct the above.

Thanks

It will check from the start of the string ( <left of the string> ) and I hope this is what you meant, right?

Rest, you are right.

You need to remember this * means match zero or more characters.

There is going to be a definite replacement of zero or more matching characters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operator question

I need to find out if a variable contains a certain text string, then do something about it. Here is what I mean, but I don't know how to get a "contains" operator # We have volumes called: # /Volumes/BackupsA_K # /Volumes/BackupsL_Z # /Volumes/Backups_Admin # (could be more, etc)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

And operator

I am trying to check two variables and if both are blank I want to set a flag: the_f3_pid=`rsh $target ps -ef | grep "f3.eab" | awk '{print $2}'` the_f7_pid=`rsh $target ps -ef | grep "f7.eab" | awk '{print $2}'` if ; then y=1 fi I get an error: ./script_name: test: 0403-021 ]... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Or operator with if

hi, i was trying to club to test condition with if. if -o ; then it is giving me error message, i wanted to ask how can we check two condtions with one if. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babom
1 Replies

4. Programming

new operator

Hi, Please clear the 2 questions, 2 Questions, 1) Why the new as a operator? Is there any special reason why it can't be a function like malloc? 2) How are we considering sizeof(),new are as a opearartors? I know + - * / -> , . etc.. are operators, which criteria satisfied by sizeof()... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

op of logical operator

Why the op of the following code is like this ???? i=4 j=-1 k=0 echo $? echo $? echo $? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lipun4u
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference operator

Dear All, Good day, Just i would like to know that is there anything called difference operator in awk? For example, if a file contains 5 columns (as shown below) with both negative and positive values: Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 Col5 I need to calculate the difference between Col1 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su with << operator

All, THe below is my script , when i use this i am getting nothing . could any one help me to know what is the use of the << operator below su - $8 << supo echo "exportsph $2 $1 $3 $4" exportsph $2 $1 $3 $4 supo i also tried as individual command su - userid << supo , when i do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

+= operator

im new to bash scripting and im just using online tutorials and trial and error. i wanted to write a script to read numbers from a file and find their sum: #!/bin/bash theSum=0 for line in $(cat numbers.txt) do let "theSum = theSum + $line" echo "$line" done echo "The sum is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astrolux444
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or operator

hi, I got a requirement to change existing script like below to search additional pattern "DB select". i tried using \| opearator but it is not working :(. Below is the existing code echo $(cat ${1} |sed -n '/Error in/ { N N N /Too many/ { p ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamxtasy
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with ++ operator

Can anyone guide me whats happening in this program given below. I got the Output 7 7 12 49... i was expecting 5 16 9 25. First is simple (3+1)*(3+1) Second is again 3*3; i =4 now Third i =5 then 5*5; i don't know where i am going wrong! #include<stdio.h> #define PRODUCT(x) (x*x) int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek_kumar
5 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)