Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: korn shell .kshrc in sunos
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting korn shell .kshrc in sunos Post 302271161 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 24th of December 2008 03:31:08 AM
Old 12-24-2008
Using the shebang "#!/bin/ksh" in your script doesn't force the script to read the .profile file.
To use the environment variables declared in .profile 'source' the .profile as follow:

Code:
. /path/to/.profile

within your script.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KORN Shell - Spawn new shell with commands

I want to be able to run a script on one server, that will spawn another shell which runs some commands on another server.. I have seen some code that may help - but I cant get it working as below: spawn /usr/bin/ksh send "telnet x <port_no>\r" expect "Enter command: " send "LOGIN:x:x;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert from korn shell to normal shell with this code?

well i have this code here..and it works fine in kornshell.. #!/bin/ksh home=c:/..../ input=$1 sed '1,3d' $input > $1.out line="" cat $1.out | while read a do line="$line $a" done echo $line > $1 rm $1.out however...now i want it just in normal sh mode..how to convert this?... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SunOS shell help

I'm new to SunOS and I need some help. I'm trying to run the commands below inside the korn shell below on SunOS 5.8 but it does not do anything except echo ABC. No error gets displayed when running the shell. #!/bin/ksh echo ABC export ENV_1=/folder1/subfolder cd folder2 All 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Korn Shell Array Issue (SunOS)

Hello, I'm currently messing around with arrays for the first time in scripting (Unix Korn Shell). All I'm trying to do right now before I make things complicated is read through and print out to screen whether the read file is or is not a directory. Here is my directory: ls -l total... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janus
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to execute .profile /.kshrc

Hi, I m new to Solaris CDE...earlier i was using Windows. Here is my problem.. i know that whatever the initial settings we need to execute,we can place them in .profile file. in my home dir (/home/venki),i have following files for that. .profile .profile.user .kshrc .kshrc.user ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venky
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

kshrc

An odd problem using .kshrc, if I run with this in my home login directory it works fine other than if I use 'man', where each word of the manual entry is on a seperate line ?. I'm using AIX 5.3 (it worked fine on 5.2). Anyone seen this before ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

.profile not reading .kshrc

Can anyone tell me why .profile would not be reading my .kshrc file? O/S is SCO 5.06? I've placed echo's before & after setting ENV and nothing ... help? Thanks! Here's .profile ================================================== : # DoubleVision Pro's digiboard call during... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

.kshrc is not executing

Hi, I am facing two problems in my environment. Anyone can help on this? Thanks in advance. Problem 1 --------- When i login into my new unix system, only the .profile is executing. .kshrc is not executing. But my default shell is .ksh Any setup to be changed ? Problem 2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne shell & Korn shell

Could some one tell me the difference btw Bourne shell and the Kshell? Which is more flexible and reliable in terms of portability and efficiency. When i type the following command .. $ echo $SHELL yields me /bin/sh Does this tells me that I am in Bourne shell. If yes, how can i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
6 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)