Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Installing Solaris x86 through an external DVD drive through the USB port... Post 302271107 by Bradj47 on Tuesday 23rd of December 2008 08:54:21 PM
Old 12-23-2008
Installing Solaris x86 through an external DVD drive through the USB port...

Is there a way to install Solaris 10 x86 with an external DVD drive that connects through the USB port? I would think I would run GRUB off of a floppy disk and somehow use that to make it look to the USB port to boot from but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me out?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mount external usb drive on Redhat 9

I am using Redhat 9 Linux, and am trying to get my external usb drive mounted (fat32). If I look at the KDE Control panel, it lists a usb 2.0 storage device under "USB Devices" (also in /proc/bus/usb), and under "SCSI" as scsi1. I looked at /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0, and it lists it there also. What... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
6 Replies

2. Solaris

external DVD-ROM drive for our datacentre

Hi there In our Data centre we have a mixture of SPARCS running from v100 and ultra10's to v800 and v1250 boxes we also have a large amount of x86 X2100 and X4100 boxes I am looking to purchase an external DVD-ROM drive that we can plug into the back of any of the boxes if we need to (I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive?

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive? Is there a way to boot from a flash stick or install it through a network? Any help will be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

4. Solaris

USB External Hard Drive for Solaris 10 Sparc

Hi- I would like to know if anyone has used any USB External Hard Drive, about 500/750GB or 1TB, with any of the Solaris 10 "SPARC" systems. Not on intel nor amd platform. I'm looking for the compatible drive and found a few listed on Sun solaris ready page, but I'd like to have inputs from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agfa_109
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

External DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not? on HP rp7400

Please help me > How to diag the external DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not? on HP 9000 server rp7400 I needed to install HP 11i v1 using external DVD-ROM drive on HP 9000 server rp7400. While boot in CO> “search” command is not showing DVD-ROM device only showing all disks >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpuser
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

external DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not?on HP rp74000

old clunker - rp74000 How to diag the external DVD-ROM drives issue whether it is working or not? on HP 9000 server rp7400 Please help me > I needed to install HP 11i v1 using external DVD-ROM drive on HP 9000 server rp7400. While boot in CO> “search” command is not showing DVD-ROM device... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tpuser
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

driver for external drive case on usb port

Hi I have to buy my selfe external case for hdd but I don't know whether my ubuntu linux, needs some driver to be able to work with this device or it has inside of itselfe this driver ? rhx for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Installing Solaris 10 x86 from USB flash drive

Dear friends, I have the DVD image of solaris 10 but I don't have DVD writer to burn it onto a dvd R. I was wondering if I could install Solaris from my 4gb usb flash drive as my PC supports booting from usb. I have installed Windows 7 this way recently, I have no idea about Solaris. Could you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

9. Hardware

Flapping (reconnecting) external USB drive

Hi gurus, during playing movie via VLC or SMPlayer I get several time the error that file cannot be read. File was stored on external USB disk. During this error I get another dialogue message that says the new removable disk was connected..., just as if power goes off and on again or if I power on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakatana
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Usb external drive

Hi Guys I am using RHEL5 O/S. We have mounted the usb external hard drive to the server as root. I want the user oracle to be able to write into this external hard drive. How do i do that ? Please Help!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies