Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help with shell script for chekking a column in txt file - pipe delimited Post 302271023 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 23rd of December 2008 02:12:38 PM
Old 12-23-2008
glad to be of help and thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove first column of a space delimited txt

how to remove the first column of a space delimited txt file? there are 12+ columns... what is the cleanest way? could use awk and print all but the first, but it looks kinda ugly awk '{print $2" "$3" "$4" "$5" "$6" "$7" "$8" "$9" "$10" "$11" "$12"}' file.txt whats a better way? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count of null in pipe delimited txt file

Hi, I have a pipe delimited txt file which contains 17 fields per line/row. 16th field contains email id. I want to count the number of lines/rows that contains null in the 16th field. Plz find attached example data file. I'm looking for a command line/script which achieves this. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a sequence number column inside a pipe delimited csv file using shell scripting?

Hi All, I need a shell script which could insert a sequence number column inside a dat file(pipe delimited). I have the dat file similar to the one as shown below.. |A|B|C||D|E |F|G|H||I|J |K|L|M||N|O |P|Q|R||S|T As shown above, the column 4 is currently blank and i need to insert sequence... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting Pipe delimited file to Tab Delimited

I have a file which was pipe delimited, I need to make it tab delimited. I tried with sed but no use cat file | sed 's/|//t/g' The above command substituted "/t" not tab in the place of pipe. Sample file: abc|123|2012-01-30|2012-04-28|xyz have to convert to: abc 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

how to show particular column from pipe delimited file

hi, I have pipe delimited flat file as below 1|ab|4.5|9| 2|ac|3|12| 3|ac|4.5|8| i want to show (display) only 3rd field between pipes. please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vai15517
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe delimited column string to null

Hi All, I have a large dat file where each lines are pipe delimited values. I need to parse the file depending on the request. For example: sometimes I have told to remove all the values in the 7th column (this case remove values '3333' only from the first line and '3543' from the second line)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: express14
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a column in a pipe delimited file

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file as below and I need to replace the 2nd column of each line with null values. 1|10/15/2011|fname1|lname1 2|10/15/2012|fname2|lname2 3|10/15/2013|fname3|lname3 Output file: 1||fname1|lname1 2||fname2|lname2 3||fname3|lname3 I tried this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: member2014
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for not null column in a pipe delimited file

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to check whether the mandatory columns in a pipe delimited file is null and print error message. For eg, I have to check if the 3rd,5th,6th,7th and 8th column are null and print the message "<column name> is null". The data file will have aroung 100,000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: reshma15193
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace delimiter for a particular column in a pipe delimited file

I have an input file as below Emp1|FirstName|MiddleName|LastName|Address|Pincode|PhoneNumber 1234|FirstName1|MiddleName2|LastName3| Add1 || ADD2|123|000000000 Output : 1234|FirstName1|MiddleName2|LastName3| Add1 ,, ADD2|123|000000000 OR 1234,FirstName1,MiddleName2,LastName3, Add1 ||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: styris
2 Replies
MYRESCUE(8)							   User Commands						       MYRESCUE(8)

NAME
myrescue - Harddisc Rescue SYNOPSIS
myrescue [-b block-size] [-B bitmap-file] [-A] [-S] [-r retry-count] [-f skip-failed] [-s start-block] [-e end-block] [-R] [-G good-range] [-F failed-range] [-J jump-after-blocks] input-file output-file DESCRIPTION
myrescue is a program to rescue the still-readable data from a damaged harddisk. It is similiar in purpose to dd_rescue, but it tries to quickly get out of damaged areas to first handle the not yet damaged part of the disk and return later. The program tries to copy the device blockwise to a file and keeps a table ("block bitmap") noting whether a block has been successfully copied, not yet handled or has had errors. This block bitmap can be used in successive runs to concentrate on the not yet rescued blocks. The program has a special skip mode to handle read errors. Usually harddisk surface defects cover more than just one block and continuous reading in defect areas can damage the surface, the heads and (by permanent recalibration) the drive mechanics. If this happens, the chances of rescuing the remaining undamaged data drop dramatically. So in skip mode, myrescue tries to get out of damaged areas quickly by exponentially increasing the stepsize. The skipped blocks are marked as unhandled in the block bitmap and can be retried later. Finally, the program has an option to multiply try to read a block before considering it damaged. NOTE
This tools is no replacement for a professional data recovery service! If you do have the latter option, don't even think of using myres- cue, as it may further damage your disk. This tool is provided only for the case that you are absolutely desperate and definitely cannot afford a professional data recovery. Or in case you know what you are doing, e.g. if you know that it is the aging of the magnetisation layer that is causing your problem. In any case do not expect too much. While complete restores have been witnessed, you should not take them for granted. A better attitude is to consider your data lost and be glad for any survivors that turn up. The usual GPL disclaimer applies. Especially the NON-WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Don't blame (or sue) me if it fails to recover or further damages your data. And a final word you probably don't want to hear in this situation: For the future consider a routinely backup to avoid a "next time". OPTIONS
-b block-size The size of the blocks (in bytes). Set this to your harddiscs error detection/correction unit size. Usually this is 4096, which hap- pens to be the default. -B bitmap-file The file containing the status table of all blocks. Nice (or frightening...) to view with hexdump. 01 means OK; 00 means not yet done; negative values mean the number of failed read attempts. If not given, defaults to output-file.bitmap -A Abort when encountering errors. -S Activate skip mode: When encountering errors increase the stepsize exponentially until a readable block is found. -f skip-failed Skip blocks that have already had skip-failed failures. Useful to avoid scratching the same block over and over again. -r retry-count The number of times to read a block before it is declared bad for this run. (You can still retry it on the next run.) Default: 1 -s start-block The number of the block to start with. Default: 0 -e end-block The number of the block, where reading stops (not included!). Default: size of input-file divided by block-size. -R Reverse reading direction, i.e. from end-block (excluded) to start-block -G good-range Only try to read blocks within good-range blocks from an already successfully read block. -F failed-range Extends -f to also skip any block within failed-range blocks of a block to be skipped as specified by -f. -J jump-after-blocks Randomly jump across the disc after reading jump-after-blocks blocks. This might be useful to scan discs with scattered defects. In jump mode -S causes myrescue to jump to a new block upon the first failed sector or upon hitting a sector to be skipped as specified by -f, -G or -F. -h, -? Display usage information. RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE
o Make sure you have sufficient disk space to copy the whole partition (not just the used ammount of data) to plus some space for the block bitmap (1 byte per block). o Determine the hardware block size (CRC/ECC unit) of your harddisk. This may be found out from hdparm, some entries in /proc/ide/hd? or on the web. I have not yet checked whether this is possible with an ioctl. If you have, please let me know. o Start a skip mode run with one retry per block to first copy the undamaged area. o Start a normal run with one retry per block to copy the remaining skipped blocks. You may try to use -f 1 to skip the damaged blocks from the first run. o Repeat until the number of errors seems to have converged. Try waiting a couple of hours between the retries. o Repeat this with higher retry counts and wait for convergence. o Make a copy of the rescued data and run fsck on it. o Mount the filesystem (if copied to a file: via loopback) and check your data. If directory information has been destroyed, fsck moves unidentifiable file fragments to lost+found, so you should also check this location. It may help to try reading non-defect areas in between to allow the drive to recalibrate. The developers are glad to hear about your experiences. Please post them to the Experiences forum on the Sourceforge Project page. Thank you! KNOWN BUGS
The handling of the bitmap-file currently relies on the filesystem semantics, that when lseek(2) ing beyond the end of file and then writ- ing, the space in between is filled with zero-bytes. The block bitmap overflows after 128 failed read attempts. AUTHORS
Kristof Koehler <kristofk@users.sourceforge.net>, Peter Schlaile <schlaile@users.sourceforge.net> SEE ALSO
dd(1), dd_rescue(no manpage?) http://www.google.de/search?q=data+recovery http://myrescue.sourceforge.net/ myrescue 0.9.4 August 2007 MYRESCUE(8)