Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: | with find -exec
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting | with find -exec Post 302270898 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 23rd of December 2008 07:35:34 AM
Old 12-23-2008
Your question is not very clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_0209
can we use |(pipe operator) with find -exec.....?
Yes, this can be done
Quote:
or can pipe the output of find command to another command...?

if not, why...?

pls explain
this as well is possible

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find and exec

Hi, Happy new year. Would you be so kind to explain me what does this instruction : find /rep/app -type l -exec ls -l {} \;> allink.lst Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using MV FIND and -EXEC

Hi, i would like to rename files in directories and subdirs. Files contains specific french or strange caracters. I want to replace all non alpha-numerics by _ (underscore) First, i made this, but i think the "for" is limited. How can i do this directly by FIND ? for file in $(find .... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: degraff63
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Exec

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find problem with exec

Hi, i want to make a script that calculates the total size in bytes from files from a directory(first argument) and displays "Total :xxxxx", the second argument must indicate the minimum size of files processed and the third argument indicates the path to a file that will save the processed file... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: MorpheusC
21 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Find and exec

Hello, I am a linux newbe. I want to install a program. I can download it only with wget command from internet. As far as i know this wget command does not transfer the exacutable flags. Because of that i wanted to find all configure files and change their mod to 744. I found this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disconnectus
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Find and EXEC

This is a huge issue. and I need it fixed ASAP. account-system gate-system race_traffic_sensor achievement-system global race_voicepack admin glue-system realdriveby admin-system gps realism-system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austech360
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does the '\' in find -exec command

Hi, I have two scripts that remove files. One works fine and is coded find -name "syst*" -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \; The other is almost the same - only thing missing is the '\'. On that script though I keep getting: rm syst1202.file ? etc Does the \ make that difference or is it a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 exec in find

Guys, I want to find the log files greather than 23 days and i want to perform 2 things here. one is to list the files and second is to gzip the files. hope this can be done using sh -c option. but not sure the exact command. find . -name "*.log" -mtime +23 -exec ls -la {} \; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
5 Replies
SyncExec(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SyncExec(3pm)

NAME
Proc::SyncExec - Spawn processes but report exec() errors SYNOPSIS
# Normal-looking piped opens which properly report exec() errors in $!: sync_open WRITER_FH, "|command -with args" or die $!; sync_open READER_FH, "command -with args|" or die $!; # Synchronized fork/exec which reports exec errors in $!: $pid = sync_exec $command, @arg; $pid = sync_exec $code_ref, $cmd, @arg; # run code after fork in kid # fork() which retries if it fails, then croaks() if it still fails. $pid = fork_retry; $pid = fork_retry 100; # retry 100 times rather than 5 $pid = fork_retry 100, 2; # sleep 2 rather than 5 seconds between # A couple of interfaces similar to sync_open() but which let you # avoid the shell: $pid = sync_fhpopen_noshell READERFH, 'r', @command; $pid = sync_fhpopen_noshell WRITERFH, 'w', @command; $fh = sync_popen_noshell 'r', @command_which_outputs; $fh = sync_popen_noshell 'w', @command_which_inputs; ($fh, $pid) = sync_popen_noshell 'r', @command_which_outputs; ($fh, $pid)= sync_popen_noshell 'w', @command_which_inputs; DESCRIPTION
This module contains functions for synchronized process spawning with full error return. If the child's exec() call fails the reason for the failure is reported back to the parent. These functions will croak() if they encounter an unexpected system error, such as a pipe() failure or a repeated fork() failure. Nothing is exported by default. fork_retry [max-retries [sleep-between]] This function runs fork() until it succeeds or until max-retries (default 5) attempts have been made, sleeping sleep-between seconds (default 5) between attempts. If the last fork() fails fork_retry croak()s. sync_exec [code] command... This function is similar to a fork()/exec() sequence but with a few twists. sync_exec does not return until after the fork()ed child has already performed its exec(). The synchronization this provides is useful in some unusual circumstances. Normally the pid of the child process is returned. However, if the child fails its exec() sync_exec returns undef and sets $! to the reason for the child's exec() failure. Since the @cmd array is passed directly to Perl's exec() Perl might choose to invoke the command via the shell if @cmd contains only one element and it looks like it needs a shell to interpret it. If this happens the return value of sync_exec only indicates whether the exec() of the shell worked. The optional initial code argument must be a code reference. If it is present it is run in the child just before exec() is called. You can use this to set up redirections or whatever. If code returns false no exec is performed, instead a failure is returned using the current $! value (or EINTR if $! is 0). If the fork() fails or if there is some other unexpected system error sync_exec croak()s rather than returning. sync_fhpopen_noshell fh type cmd [arg]... This is a popen() but it never invokes the shell and it uses sync_exec() under the covers. See "sync_exec". The type is either 'r' to read from the process or 'w' to write to it. The return value is the pid of the forked process. sync_popen_noshell type cmd arg... This is like sync_fhpopen_noshell, but you don't have to supply the filehandle. If called in an array context the return value is a list consisting of the filehandle and the PID of the child. In a scalar context only the filehandle is returned. sync_open fh [open-spec] This is like a Perl open() except that if a pipe is involved and the implied exec() fails sync_open() fails with $! set appropriately. See "sync_exec". Like sync_exec, sync_open croak()s if there is an unexpected system error (such as a failed pipe()). Also like sync_exec, if you use a command which Perl needs to use the shell to interpret you'll only know if the exec of the shell worked. Use sync_fhpopen_noshell or sync_exec to be sure that this doesn't happen. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.8 2005-02-04 SyncExec(3pm)