Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting strcat equivalent in shell scripting Post 302270711 by ramen_noodle on Monday 22nd of December 2008 03:12:56 PM
Old 12-22-2008
Vgersh is very good at this type of problem and I don't want to but in, but most cases, in most shells, using an array to store the data and exploding the array is a simple way to form a concatenated string of disparate variables.

Short example with bash and gawk.
Code:
function retrandstr() {
gawk '
  function retrandchars(str, sz,rval,i) {
  sz = int(1 + rand() * length(str))
  i =0
        #print sz, i; 
         while (i < sz) {
                rval = rval substr(str,int((1 + rand() * length(str))),1); 
                i++;
          }
  return rval
  }
  BEGIN {
    srand();
    print retrandchars("abndhcv784893ndyvurfgh3ery348infy7478")
  }'
  sleep 1
}

Test--
while test "$i" -gt 0;  do arr[$i]=`retrandstr`; i=`expr $i - 1`;  done
list=${arr[@]}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Programming

strcat() dumping core

strcat dumping core in the situation like main() { char* item; char* p=sat_item; char type; item=(char*) malloc(strlen(p)); strncpy(type,p,4); type='\0'; strcat(item,type); //dumping core } I couldn't get why strcat dumping core? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

3. Programming

`strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast

A question to ask. seq1 = "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"; seq2 = "dddddddddddddddddddd"; char a = '*'; strcat(*seq2, &a); strcat(*seq1, seq2); compilation warning: passing arg 1 of `strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdbug
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script equivalent for tcl function

Hello, I need experts help in converting the below tcl function to korn shell function equivalent. proc lsNetMaskToBits {mask} { set dw ; # Top N bits set set dw 0x ; # Make sure it's hexadecimal, else XOR fails. puts "lsNetMaskToBits dw $dw" set dw ; # Complement => low 32-N bits... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JackMelson
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows command shell equivalent in Unix

In Windows we use cmd.exe \c as the command SHell What is its equivalent in UNIX ? Thanx for all your help. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonsimon
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

7. Programming

strcat outputs garbage

Anyone have any ideas why when using strcat function I would get some garbage at the beginning of the output string? what I'm doing is something like the following example. Code: char temp; char tempHolder; for(int i=0;i<something;i++){ sprintf(temp,"%u ", someVariable);... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: airon23bball
2 Replies

8. Programming

strcat in C

Hello, #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void main() { char tab={"12"}; FILE *outfile; char *outname = "/home/dir/"; printf("%s",strcat(outname,tab)); outfile = fopen(strcat(outname,tab), "w"); if (!outfile) { printf("There was a problem opening %s for writing\n", outname); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell equivalent of matlab fwrite function

I have some matlab code that sends the serial port elements of an array using matlab's fwrite function, e.g.: fwrite(s, , 'uchar'); What would be a unix shell equivalent? E.g., after successfully accessing the port using instructions here: Simple terminal serial port program for Linux/MacOSX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darwin_886
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalent to let command in POSIX shell

Hi all, I am learning POSIX shell programming, and the book I read, uses the let command for integer arithmetic. I have downloaded and use the shellcheck program on Linux. This programs says: In POSIX sh, 'let' is undefined. See the screenshot attached. What is the POSIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnprogrammer
1 Replies
LKSH(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LKSH(1)

NAME
lksh -- Legacy Korn shell built on mksh SYNOPSIS
lksh [-+abCefhiklmnprUuvXx] [-+o opt] [-c string | -s | file [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
lksh is a command interpreter intended exclusively for running legacy shell scripts. It is built on mksh; refer to its manual page for details on the scripting language. It is recommended to port scripts to mksh instead of relying on legacy or idiotic POSIX-mandated behav- iour, since the MirBSD Korn Shell scripting language is much more consistent. LEGACY MODE
lksh has the following differences from mksh: o lksh is not suitable for use as /bin/sh. o There is no explicit support for interactive use, nor any command line editing or history code. Hence, lksh is not suitable as a user's login shell, either; use mksh instead. o The KSH_VERSION string identifies lksh as ``LEGACY KSH'' instead of ``MIRBSD KSH''. o lksh only offers the traditional ten file descriptors to scripts. o lksh uses POSIX arithmetics, which has quite a few implications: The data type for arithmetics is the host ISO C long data type. Signed integer wraparound is Undefined Behaviour. The sign of the result of a modulo operation with at least one negative operand is unspeci- fied. Shift operations on negative numbers are unspecified. Division of the largest negative number by -1 is Undefined Behaviour. The compiler is permitted to delete all data and crash the system if Undefined Behaviour occurs. o The rotation arithmetic operators are not available. o The shift arithmetic operators take all bits of the second operand into account; if they exceed permitted precision, the result is unspecified. o The GNU bash extension &> to redirect stdout and stderr in one go is not parsed. o The mksh command line option -T is not available. o Unless set -o posix is active, lksh always uses traditional mode for constructs like: $ set -- $(getopt ab:c "$@") $ echo $? POSIX mandates this to show 0, but traditional mode passes through the errorlevel from the getopt(1) command. o lksh, unlike AT&T UNIX ksh, does not keep file descriptors > 2 private. SEE ALSO
mksh(1) https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm https://www.mirbsd.org/ksh-chan.htm CAVEATS
lksh tries to make a cross between a legacy bourne/posix compatibl-ish shell and a legacy pdksh-alike but ``legacy'' is not exactly speci- fied. The set built-in command does not have all options one would expect from a full-blown mksh or pdksh. Talk to the MirOS development team using the mailing list at <miros-mksh@mirbsd.org> or the #!/bin/mksh (or #ksh) IRC channel at irc.freenode.net (Port 6697 SSL, 6667 unencrypted) if you need any further quirks or assistance, and consider migrating your legacy scripts to work with mksh instead of requiring lksh. MirBSD May 2, 2013 MirBSD