Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Customer support engineer
Operating Systems HP-UX Customer support engineer Post 302270646 by vbe on Monday 22nd of December 2008 11:32:42 AM
Old 12-22-2008
After DustBunny's (valuable and how true...)comments, my 2 cents:

Having lived with different clusters on different platforms, I believe a good and well built and architectured box is less trouble than a cluster ( a box able to crash and reconfigure itself by removing faulty HW...) and almost as fast if not faster than an average cluster...
A well tuned and efficient cluster is different of course, but as DustBunny will confirm - It takes quite some time and skill, by highly qualified personnel...
You just cant follow a procedure to put up a cluster, theres rarely 2 same clusters doing the same thing...
What can you do?
Urgently follow the "Hand-on MSSG" course so you have a good idea what you are being asked!
By following the course, you will get material knowledge and worksheets for you to start to fill with all the prerequisites you will have for your cluster..
Then start to play with the software to see you understand how it works (what you need to get it running) like make yourself a little apache server with read/write webdav and a few WWW authenticated users, and TEST throughly before trying less obvious (oracle DB...) once you are confident with the commands and updates procedure of your simple cluster, go for the big challenge!
It takes, to understand a cluster, the same time to learn UNIX administration (not administering it just understand and not being lost when the gurus come along and modfiy things...) so what do you expect by asking for procedures?
Because of the price of a cluster, you just cant improvise and hope it will work, it is going to ask you quite some investment
The help that can be given to you here is our experience, we can help you putting up your cluster by discussing which architecture is most suitable or by giving you feed back on what we have been through with such configuration, most probably help you sort out with something you are unhappy about with your cluster...

Most valuable advise I can give you:
Remember what UNIX is all about!

So courage my friend and warn your family you will spend less time with them for a couple of weeks for you need to study...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information on Network engineer and Unix Systems Engineer

Hi, I'm exploring a few different careers( Unix System's Admin, Network Engineer, and Unix System's Engineer). I asked in another thread about System's Admin, so I have some more info on that already. I'm not finding very much info on Network Engineers or Unix System Engineers though. Can you guys... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

identify a customer under a UNIX server

Like many UNIX users, there is a small team that is connected to UNIX (under the same UNIX user) via putty from a Windows PC. Is there a way, once under UNIX, to know the address of the originating computer or anything that can differentiate initial users ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: popescu1954
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to prompt customer for name etc

How do I create a shell script called 'custinfo' to prompt a customer to enter and display back the following: name, age, address, phone number, product, price range. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQLScript
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script to prompt customer for name etc

reposting How do I create a shell script called 'custinfo' to prompt a customer to enter and display back the following: name, age, address, phone number, product, price range. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQLScript
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie hw engineer

Need a perl script that will extract component reference designators from a text file and write them to a new file. The refdes attribute will always follow the characters "REFDES=". So for the first line below I'd like to extract the reference designator R2402. A 2158 1882 12 2 2 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs123456
5 Replies
VOTEQUORUM_LEAVING(3)				    Corosync Cluster Engine Programmer's Manual 			     VOTEQUORUM_LEAVING(3)

NAME
votequorum_leaving - Tell other nodes that we are leaving the cluster SYNOPSIS
#include <corosync/votequorum.h> int votequorum_leaving(votequorum_handle_t handle); DESCRIPTION
The votequorum_leaving function is used to tell the other nodes in the cluster that this node is leaving. They will (when the node actually leaves) reduce quorum to keep the cluster running without this node. This function should only be called if it is known that the node is being shut down for a known reason and could be out of the cluster for an extended period of time. Normal behaviour is for the cluster to reduce the total number of votes, but NOT expected_votes when a node leave the cluster, so the clus- ter could become inquorate. This is correct behaviour and is ther eto prevent split-brain. Do NOT call this function unless you know what you are doing. RETURN VALUE
This call returns the CS_OK value if successful, otherwise an error is returned. ERRORS
The errors are undocumented. SEE ALSO
votequorum_overview(8), votequorum_initialize(3), votequorum_finalize(3), votequorum_dispatch(3), votequorum_fd_get(3), corosync Man Page 2009-01-26 VOTEQUORUM_LEAVING(3)