Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problem with grep in combination with xargs Post 302270645 by Bruno on Monday 22nd of December 2008 11:29:48 AM
Old 12-22-2008
Dear reborg,
that doesn't work it just produces an empty file "test".

Thanks for trying

Bruno

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and xargs

guys... I wanna use xargs in such a way that i can use it in grepping the fileds.. something like this: grep -p <xargs values> * lemme know how to do this.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakygs
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combination of find -xargs & wc -l

Dear all, I have to calculate sum of record count of files of the specified directory. First I tried the following way which prints one or more outputs. How can I sum of this output? find /home/work/tmp/1/O/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 wc -l | grep total 1666288 total 1073908 total ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and find combination

Hello All, I'm trying the following:find . -name "*" -exec grep -ln "IsAlpha" {} \; It gives me file names only (having string "IsAlpha"), I want to get line numbers also, something like this: test 1: Line 52 test 1: Line 95 etc Is it possible to obtain using grep & find only. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Awk Cut Grep Combination Help ?

I have been reading for a few hours trying to educate myself enough to accomplish this task, so please know I have performed some research. Unfortunately, I am not a *NIX scripting expert, or a coder. I come from a network background instead. SO, here is my desired outcome. I have some Cisco... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abbzer0
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs problem

Hi From the xargs man page (Solaris): ls $1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $1/{} $2/{} This would move all the files in directory $1 to directory $2 Problem 1: In a shell script if I want to move files in d1 to d2 dir1=~/d1 dir2=~/d2 ls $dir1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $dir1/{} $dir2/{} does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common terms in two text file, xargs, grep

Hello, I'm interested in finding all occurrences of the terms in file1 in file2, which are both csv files. I can do this with a loop but I'm interested in knowing if I can also do it with the help of xargs and grep. What I have tried: cat file1 | xargs grep file2 The problem is that... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: eon
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using xargs with rm

I am trying to call xargs, however rm is complaining find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*tests*" -print0 | xargs -0 rm rm: missing operand Try `rm --help' for more information. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping grep and xargs

In a directory I have two lists, all files which could contain certain fields (they all share copied code) and a list of fields. My two scripts are <appl.list xargs grep $1 where appl.list contains files (source programs) with the fields. This script is named YY <fields.list xargs YY ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with xargs

I entered the following <zzz.list xargs showtell |more which does a echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< $1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>" head -20 $1 The file zzz.list contains 525 lines representing user scripts (1 per line), but only the first, 181st, and 399th lines were processed. What am I missing? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
DH_AUTO_TEST(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_AUTO_TEST(1)

NAME
dh_auto_test - automatically runs a package's test suites SYNOPSIS
dh_auto_test [buildsystemoptions] [debhelperoptions] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_auto_test is a debhelper program that tries to automatically run a package's test suite. It does so by running the appropriate command for the build system it detects the package uses. For example, if there's a Makefile and it contains a test or check target, then this is done by running make (or MAKE, if the environment variable is set). If the test suite fails, the command will exit nonzero. If there's no test suite, it will exit zero without doing anything. This is intended to work for about 90% of packages with a test suite. If it doesn't work, you're encouraged to skip using dh_auto_test at all, and just run the test suite manually. OPTIONS
See "BUILD SYSTEM OPTIONS" in debhelper(7) for a list of common build system selection and control options. -- params Pass params to the program that is run, after the parameters that dh_auto_test usually passes. NOTES
If the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS environment variable contains nocheck, no tests will be performed. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_AUTO_TEST(1)