Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find whether a file is transferred thro bin or ascii mode? Post 302270255 by matrixmadhan on Saturday 20th of December 2008 11:48:52 AM
Old 12-20-2008
Am giving it a try.

That should be possible with newline feeds. Transferring file in binary mode will not change the linefeeds whereas in ascii feed it will be modified.

I might be wrong Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ftp :bin and ascii

Hi , I am trying to ftp a file once using ascii mode and once binary mode The ftp prompt shows different bytes transferred for each of them but at the destination server,each one of these files gets created with the same byte size and are identical.Can anyone shed any light on this ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smehra
1 Replies

2. SCO

compressed file was ftpied in ascii mode needs recovery

I am unbale to uncompress a file which was compress then moved to another pc in ascii mode instead of binary mode. Is there any way to recover it. Please help us. While uncompress it is giving corrupt input. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj2610
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting ASCII to Binary mode

Dear All, Business Users are transfering ( FTP ) a CSV file into the IBM AIX box with transfer mode as ASCII. But I want to convert the CSV file from ASCII mode into binary mode, as my script expects file in binary mode. Is it possible to do through Unix commands? Thanks in Advance, RK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srajeshmca
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP in ASCII mode

Hi Copying a file from Unix (Solaris) to a windows server using sftp. File arrives with carriage returns and line feeds screwed (binary file transfer). Is there a way to get these to copy properly without having to edit or messa about with the file on the windows side. I know with FTP you can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy_mega
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

`find`, pulling 1st field from ASCII flat file as search/-name?

Hey Everyone! I have searched around for this on Unix.com and Google, and I'm either not phrasing my search properly or this is not as simple as I thought... I have a script that runs on a nightly basis that pulls one field worth of data from an internal MySQL database and populates to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gecko12332
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash cannot find file or directory

Hello, When i run a bash script on ubuntu i get this message.. #!/bin/bash cannot find file or directory... Can anibody help me with this, because the file actually exists.... Is there any extra configuration to be made? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliveiraum
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ascii Mode appending extra records to csv file

I am relatively new to this forum and Unix scripting. ksh script: part 1 :will call a PL\SQL program will create 3 CSV file at the unix directory. part 2 : will sftp the files to the EFT server. Once the EFT server receives these file , it will transfer them to a shared windows folders. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: developerpa
3 Replies

8. Solaris

/bin/find: stat() error <File> : No such file or directory

Hi, I am getting below error in Solaris 10 SPARC when trying to issue a search on /var/tmp partition Below is the query /bin/find /var/tmp/ -type f -atime +1 Below is the result /bin/find: stat() error <File> : No such file or directory (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
28 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode

I am doing FTP from a server and getting below ERROR:WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode File may not have transferred correctly. I looked into web and found that I may need to change the mode to binary, but when I do so the records are not in readable format...So need the file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshilalit2004
10 Replies

10. HP-UX

From a C++ application how to find if a hpux host is in standard mode or trusted mode

is there a way for my C++ application to find out which mode the hpux OS is running in? standard mode or trusted mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: einsteinBrain
3 Replies
COL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    COL(1)

NAME
col -- filter reverse line feeds from input SYNOPSIS
col [-bfhpx] [-l num] DESCRIPTION
The col utility filters out reverse (and half reverse) line feeds so that the output is in the correct order with only forward and half for- ward line feeds, and replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible. This can be useful in processing the output of nroff(1) and tbl(1). The col utility reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output. The options are as follows: -b Do not output any backspaces, printing only the last character written to each column position. -f Forward half line feeds are permitted (``fine'' mode). Normally characters printed on a half line boundary are printed on the fol- lowing line. -h Do not output multiple spaces instead of tabs (default). -l num Buffer at least num lines in memory. By default, 128 lines are buffered. -p Force unknown control sequences to be passed through unchanged. Normally, col will filter out any control sequences from the input other than those recognized and interpreted by itself, which are listed below. -x Output multiple spaces instead of tabs. In the input stream, col understands both the escape sequences of the form escape-digit mandated by Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2'') and the traditional BSD format escape-control-character. The control sequences for carriage motion and their ASCII values are as follows: ESC-BELL reverse line feed (escape then bell). ESC-7 reverse line feed (escape then 7). ESC-BACKSPACE half reverse line feed (escape then backspace). ESC-8 half reverse line feed (escape then 8). ESC-TAB half forward line feed (escape than tab). ESC-9 half forward line feed (escape then 9). In -f mode, this sequence may also occur in the output stream. backspace moves back one column (8); ignored in the first column carriage return (13) newline forward line feed (10); also does carriage return shift in shift to normal character set (15) shift out shift to alternate character set (14) space moves forward one column (32) tab moves forward to next tab stop (9) vertical tab reverse line feed (11) All unrecognized control characters and escape sequences are discarded. The col utility keeps track of the character set as characters are read and makes sure the character set is correct when they are output. If the input attempts to back up to the last flushed line, col will display a warning message. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of col as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The col utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
colcrt(1), expand(1), nroff(1), tbl(1) STANDARDS
The col utility conforms to Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2''). HISTORY
A col command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
May 10, 2015 BSD