Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive? Post 302270253 by DukeNuke2 on Saturday 20th of December 2008 11:38:39 AM
Old 12-20-2008
search the forum for "jumpstart" and "PXE boot".

good luck...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problem mounting DVD on Solaris 10 (x86)

I have just installed Solaris 10. I have read various threads on how to mount CDs put can't get mine going. My Sony DVD RW-U14A is attached to IDE2 as the master. If I type iostat -En I get c1t0d0 soft errors 0 hard errors 0 transport errors 0 Vendor Sony Product DVD RW-U14A Size 0Gb etc.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: christian_hicks
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Installing Solaris x86 through an external DVD drive through the USB port...

Is there a way to install Solaris 10 x86 with an external DVD drive that connects through the USB port? I would think I would run GRUB off of a floppy disk and somehow use that to make it look to the USB port to boot from but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris, SCSI M.O Drive on x86

Hi, i'm trying to install a MO Disk Drive Sony model: SMO-f541, to read a 2.6gb Magneto Optical Disk, I install Solaris 10 in a x86 machine with these specifications: Desktop Board Intel*D946GZIS Intel core 2 duo 4300, 80ghz Ram 2038 hard disk 250 gb I have a PCI SCSI card AHA-2940UW, At the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jevivre
0 Replies

4. Solaris

x4270 Solaris Install without DVD Drive

Hello, Im installing solaris 10 on an x4270 server, but there is no DVD drive. I have only my windows laptop (with dvd drive) and direct access to the ILOM on the server via straight cable. Does anyone know any tips on how to get the solaris installed using what i have? Thanks, K. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 install with no DVD drive

Hi Guys, I think i probably know the answer to this question, but ill put it out there. I have access to one, and only one SunFire v240 with no DVD drive. I have been tasked with installing Solaris 10 on there (Solaris 8 is on at the moment). The obvious thing was to try a USB DVD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sol-nova
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Boot Solaris 10 U1 for x86 from DVD

Is it possible to boot an existing Solaris 10 update 1 from boot dvd that I run on p3(1 ghz -512 mb ram). I have got a dual boot sys - the other os is win xp that I need to reinstall but that removes the mbr so, is there any way to recover mbr after the installation of xp? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris x86 11.3 'live' DVD, network issue

Hi All, Has anyone else come across a network interface issue after installing Solaris x86 11.3 from the 'live' DVD? I have had issues myself and also found others have similar issues. On my systems, installing Solaris 11.3 works fine but after rebooting (from the hard disk root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies
PXEBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						PXEBOOT(8)

NAME
pxeboot -- Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) bootloader DESCRIPTION
The pxeboot bootloader is a modified version of the system third-stage bootstrap loader(8) configured to run under Intel's Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) system. PXE is a form of smart boot ROM, built into Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 and 3Com 3c905c Ethernet cards, and Ether- net-equipped Intel motherboards. PXE supports DHCP configuration and provides low-level NIC access services. The pxeboot bootloader retrieves the kernel, modules, and other files either via NFS over UDP or by TFTP, selectable through compile-time options. In combination with a memory file system image or NFS-mounted root file system, pxeboot allows for easy, EEPROM-burner free construction of diskless machines. The pxeboot binary is loaded just like any other boot file, by specifying it in the DHCP server's configuration file. Below is a sample con- figuration for the ISC DHCP v2 server: option domain-name "example.com"; option routers 10.0.0.1; option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0; option broadcast-address 10.0.0.255; option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1; server-name "DHCPserver"; server-identifier 10.0.0.1; default-lease-time 120; max-lease-time 120; subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { filename "pxeboot"; range 10.0.0.10 10.0.0.254; } pxeboot recognizes next-server and option root-path directives as the server and path to NFS mount for file requests, respectively, or the server to make TFTP requests to. Note that pxeboot expects to fetch /boot/loader.rc from the specified server before loading any other files. In all other respects, pxeboot acts just like loader(8). As PXE is still in its infancy, some firmware versions may not work properly. The pxeboot bootloader has been extensively tested on version 0.99 of Intel firmware; pre-release versions of the newer 2.0 firmware are known to have problems. Check with the device's manufacturer for their latest stable release. For further information on Intel's PXE specifications and Wired for Management (WfM) systems, see http://www.intel.com/design/archives/wfm/. SEE ALSO
loader(8) HISTORY
The pxeboot bootloader first appeared in FreeBSD 4.1. AUTHORS
The pxeboot bootloader was written by John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> and Paul Saab <ps@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Doug White <dwhite@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
May 1, 2000 BSD