Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers good Unix emulator for vista PC Post 302270050 by Franklin52 on Friday 19th of December 2008 12:33:07 PM
Old 12-19-2008
No duplicate or cross-posting, read the rules.

Proceed here:

https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...#post302270040

Thread closed.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix emulator for windows 98

as part of my course i have to do a lot of programming using the universities unix server. i am able to access this from home using telnet but i cannot use axe or anything to edit my files. I was wondering if anyone knew of any software that could enable me yo do this as i like working at 2am when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HALLY
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uising ed in wipro uwin unix emulator

i have no clue what I am doing with the ed editor since i have never really used it.. the only thing is the sed edittor on the unix emulator I downloaded for windows is rather simple and the man pages are very vague... it doesn't function according to most linux operating systems that envoke sed..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Emulator Or Simulator

Hi all: I have windows XP and i want to learn UNIX SHELL PROGRAMMING! can you tell me any unix shell emulator or simulator which i can install on windows and learn unix shell programming (FOR SOME REASON I DONT WANT TO INSTALL LINUX)!!! PLEASE HELP! CHEERS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravirajindia
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Emulator

Hi all: I have windows XP and i want to learn UNIX SHELL PROGRAMMING! can you tell me any unix shell emulator or simulator which i can install on windows and learn unix shell programming (FOR SOME REASON I DONT WANT TO INSTALL LINUX)!!! PLEASE HELP! CHEERS (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravirajindia
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Emulator

Where can I download a unix Emulator for Training and education of the IT personal in my company. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: st_matan
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Emulator for DOS Shell

would like to have ls, wc -l, etc all availble in this silly dos shell I'm stuck in thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robersh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

which version of unix and termnail emulator

hello i have a computer sat around doing nothing so i what to install a version of Unix on it, i then want to access the computer from my pc though my home network e.g router. The thing is what version of unix should i use there are so many and being new to all of this some advice would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdude
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Emulator Cygwin

Hi, I installed unix emulator cygwin, it does not allow me to open vi editor. Can anybody know if cygwin supports vi. if not can somebody please refer a good emulator. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siquadri
5 Replies
mkmanifest(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mkmanifest(1)

Name
       mkmanifest - makes list of file names and their DOS 8+3 equivalent

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mkmanifest command is used to create a shell script (packing list) to restore Unix filenames. Its syntax is:

mkmanifest [ files ]

Mkmanifest creates a shell script that aids in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the  MS-DOS  filename  restrictions.
       MS-DOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters.

The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MS-
       DOS restrictions. This command is only useful if the target system which will read the diskette cannot handle VFAT long names.

Example
       You want to copy the following Unix files to a MS-DOS diskette (using the mcopy command).

very_long_name
	    2.many.dots
	    illegal:
	    good.c
	    prn.dev
	    Capital

ASCII converts the names to:

very_lon
	    2xmany.dot
	    illegalx
	    good.c
	    xprn.dev
	    capital

The command:

mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital >manifest

would produce the following:

mv very_lon very_long_name
	    mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots
	    mv illegalx illegal:
	    mv xprn.dev prn.dev
	    mv capital Capital

Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output.

Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original  names.   If  the
       file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames.

Bugs
       The short names generated by mkmanifest follow the old convention (from mtools-2.0.7) and not the one from Windows 95 and mtools-3.0.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13							     mkmanifest(1)