Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a dynamic case statement Post 302269978 by squrcles on Friday 19th of December 2008 08:48:42 AM
Old 12-19-2008
my final solution

cat > /var/tmp/list <<EOF
track1 202.111.111.111 99
room7 222.111.222.333 76
EOF
select i in `cat /var/tmp/list | awk '{print $1}`
do
echo `grep $i /var/tmp/list`
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array in ksh

Hi, Is it possible to create a dynamic array in shell script. I am trying to get the list of logfiles that created that day and put it in a dynamic array. I am not sure about it. help me New to scripting Gundu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating dynamic shell script

Hello I am trying to create a dynamic ksh script and I have an issue. I have a script a.ksh and it has got the following lines (for example) #!/bin/ksh # trace mode +x : without trace -x : with trace set +xv echo hi, i am going to create a dynamic script now cat >> dynamic.ks <<EOF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundarkumars
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array

i want to create an array the array elements are populated depending upon the number of entries present in a data file The data file is created dynamically how to achieve the same thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with creating dynamic tcl displays

I'm fairly new to tcl scripting and could use a little help. I have a simple list file that will be of unknown size (somewhere between 10 to 20 names). I'd like to create a gui that has a checkbutton for each name in the list and a single action button that will do something for all the checkboxes... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottwevans
0 Replies

5. Programming

Dynamic Insert statement

I have a form , where i will put the values to a table. I wrote a insert statement for the same. Table structure is ename | character varying(30) | eadd | character varying(30) | eid | integer | sal | integer In the statements, i don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Dynamic Input or daa files

Hi, I got a requirement to automate the process. We have SLA files, there are some 80 SLA files comes from 1.30pm - 5.30pm. I was asked to write a script to check for the SLA files in the load directory, if the files come then we got to send the mail to the group, if the mails doesnt come... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: afahmed
1 Replies

7. Web Development

MYSQL: Creating Dynamic Table Names 5.1

Hey everyone. Thanks for looking at this. I'm trying to create a table with the dynamic name of TableName + today's date. My variables are all happily created but the system chokes when I try to create the new table name example: Set @BFBW = CONCAT("BFBW", CURDATE()); Select @BFBW; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Dynamic case creation based on output list from a command

I am attempting to create a script that would allow me to list all the instances associated with a DB2 and then prompt the user to choose which one to issue the db2profile command against. I use the db2 command db2ilist to get a list of the instances for a particular server, but the number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slatoms
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic case creation based on output list from a command

I am attempting to create a script that would allow me to list all the instances associated with a DB2 and then prompt the user to choose which one to issue the db2profile command against. I use the db2 command db2ilist to get a list of the instances for a particular server, but the number of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slatoms
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Dynamic Variables from a Flat File

Greetings all, Been trying to do my Googling and forum searches but can't seem to lock in on a solution. I have a script that parses a log and collects all the uniq events to a flat file. Some days might have 50 unique events, other days might have 75. (Hence my reference to dynamic.) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjrupp
2 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)