Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FTP and run a loop for array problem Post 302269832 by cjcox on Thursday 18th of December 2008 06:47:25 PM
Old 12-18-2008
ftp is NOT a scripting language. You could create a string (script) using your loop logic from the shell and pass the resulting created script string as input to ftp.

Your version of ftp client might not like a large set of commands coming at it using the mechanism you are using though. Try it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Array Error when run - I think???

My code isn't pretty, my verbage isn't exact and I probably don't have all my facts together (story of my life). I know what I want with this script: to join three simple lines line 1,2,3 then repeat over and over again with 4,5,6 until the end of the file. the lines are the same, date,date,text.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jseager
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a loop for assigning strings which are present in a file to an array

Hi Forum, I am struggling with the for loop in shell script. Let me explain what is needed in the script. I have a file which will conatin some strings like file1 place1 place2 place3 checkpoint some other text some more text Now what my requirement is the words ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_14
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a better way I could have run this loop. (For loop with two variables)

Sorry for such a dreadful title, but I'm not sure how to be more descriptive. I'm hoping some of the more gurutastic out there can take a look at a solution I came up with to a problem, and advice if there are better ways to have gone about it. To make a long story short around 20K pieces of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array and Loop Problem

I've got this problem, if I modify an array in the loop and print it, everything is fine as long as I stay in the loop. But, when I print it outside the loop, nothing happens... How can I solve this problem? Here I prepared a sample for you to see my problem; zgrw@Rain:~$ cat test asd 123... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zgrw
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array with do while and if loop

Hi All, I am trying to run a do while for an array. And in the do while, I'm trying to get a user response. Depending on the the answer, I go ahead and do something or I move on to next element in the array. So far I can read the array, but I can't get the if statement to work. Any suggestions... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem access array outside of loop in bash

Below is a test script I was trying to use so that I could understand why the logic was not working in a larger script. While accessing and printing array data inside the while loop, everything is fine. Outside the loop, i guess everything is null?? The for loop that is meant to cycle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adlmostwanted
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop and array problem

Hi, I have the following problem that is beyond what I can currently do with bash scripting. In file 1, I have ~ 2500000 values. Note this file is not sorted. 3 19 LABEL_A 3 37 LABEL_B 2 12 LABEL_C 1 15 LABEL_D I have a list of values in "file 2" ~ 25000 unique lines: Note -... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies
ncftpls(1)						      General Commands Manual							ncftpls(1)

NAME
ncftpls - Internet file transfer program for scripts SYNOPSIS
ncftpls [options] ftp://url.style/host/path/name/ OPTIONS
Command line flags: -1 Most basic format, one item per line. -l Long list format. -R Long list format, recurse subdirectories. Equivalent to "-x -lR". -x -XX Additional ls flags to pass on to the server. -u XX Use username XX instead of anonymous. -p XX Use password XX with the username. -P XX Use port number XX instead of the default FTP service port (21). -d XX Use the file XX for debug logging. -t XX Timeout after XX seconds. -E Use regular (PORT) data connections. -F Use passive (PASV) data connections. The default is to use passive, but to fallback to regular if the passive connection fails or times out. -r XX Redial a maximum of XX times until connected to the remote FTP server. -W XX Send raw FTP command XX after logging in. -X XX Send raw FTP command XX after each file transferred. -Y XX Send raw FTP command XX before logging out. The -W, -X, and -Y options are useful for advanced users who need to tweak behavior on some servers. For example, users accessing mainframes might need to send some special SITE commands to set blocksize and record format information. For these options, you can use them multiple times each if you need to send multiple commands. For the -X option, you can use the cookie %s to expand into the name of the file that was transferred. DESCRIPTION
The purpose of ncftpls is to do remote directory listings using the File Transfer Protocol without entering an interactive shell. This lets you write shell scripts or other unattended processes that can do FTP. The default behavior is to print the directory listing in columnized format (i.e. ls -CF), but that is not very useful for scripting. This example uses the -1 flag, to print one file per line: $ ncftpls -1 ftp://ftp.ncftp.com/pub/ncftp/ You can also do a remote "ls -l", by using "ncftpls -l". If you want to try other flags, you have to use them with the -x flag. For exam- ple, if you wanted to do a remote "ls -lrt", you could do this: $ ncftpls -x "-lrt" ftp://ftp.ncftp.com/pub/ncftp/ By default the program tries to open the remote host and login anonymously, but you can specify a username and password information like you can with ncftpget or ncftpput. DIAGNOSTICS
ncftpls returns the following exit values: 0 Success. 1 Could not connect to remote host. 2 Could not connect to remote host - timed out. 3 Transfer failed. 4 Transfer failed - timed out. 5 Directory change failed. 6 Directory change failed - timed out. 7 Malformed URL. 8 Usage error. 9 Error in login configuration file. 10 Library initialization failed. 11 Session initialization failed. AUTHOR
Mike Gleason, NcFTP Software (mgleason@ncftp.com). SEE ALSO
ncftpput(1), ncftpget(1), ncftp(1), ftp(1), rcp(1), tftp(1). LibNcFTP (http://www.ncftp.com/libncftp/). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWncftp | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for ncftp is available on http://opensolaris.org. Software NcFTP ncftpls(1)