Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find whether a file is transferred thro bin or ascii mode? Post 302269723 by Ashok_oct22 on Thursday 18th of December 2008 11:11:07 AM
Old 12-18-2008
How to find whether a file is transferred thro bin or ascii mode?

Hi Gurus,

I need to find out, if i have transferred a file from ftp thro bin mode or ascii mode. Say if i have a file called "dec.sh"( u shuld normally transfer thro ascii mode). How can i find out that dec.sh is tranferred from ftp server thro ascii mode or bin mode?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ashok_oct22

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ftp :bin and ascii

Hi , I am trying to ftp a file once using ascii mode and once binary mode The ftp prompt shows different bytes transferred for each of them but at the destination server,each one of these files gets created with the same byte size and are identical.Can anyone shed any light on this ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smehra
1 Replies

2. SCO

compressed file was ftpied in ascii mode needs recovery

I am unbale to uncompress a file which was compress then moved to another pc in ascii mode instead of binary mode. Is there any way to recover it. Please help us. While uncompress it is giving corrupt input. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj2610
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting ASCII to Binary mode

Dear All, Business Users are transfering ( FTP ) a CSV file into the IBM AIX box with transfer mode as ASCII. But I want to convert the CSV file from ASCII mode into binary mode, as my script expects file in binary mode. Is it possible to do through Unix commands? Thanks in Advance, RK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srajeshmca
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP in ASCII mode

Hi Copying a file from Unix (Solaris) to a windows server using sftp. File arrives with carriage returns and line feeds screwed (binary file transfer). Is there a way to get these to copy properly without having to edit or messa about with the file on the windows side. I know with FTP you can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy_mega
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

`find`, pulling 1st field from ASCII flat file as search/-name?

Hey Everyone! I have searched around for this on Unix.com and Google, and I'm either not phrasing my search properly or this is not as simple as I thought... I have a script that runs on a nightly basis that pulls one field worth of data from an internal MySQL database and populates to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gecko12332
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash cannot find file or directory

Hello, When i run a bash script on ubuntu i get this message.. #!/bin/bash cannot find file or directory... Can anibody help me with this, because the file actually exists.... Is there any extra configuration to be made? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliveiraum
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ascii Mode appending extra records to csv file

I am relatively new to this forum and Unix scripting. ksh script: part 1 :will call a PL\SQL program will create 3 CSV file at the unix directory. part 2 : will sftp the files to the EFT server. Once the EFT server receives these file , it will transfer them to a shared windows folders. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: developerpa
3 Replies

8. Solaris

/bin/find: stat() error <File> : No such file or directory

Hi, I am getting below error in Solaris 10 SPARC when trying to issue a search on /var/tmp partition Below is the query /bin/find /var/tmp/ -type f -atime +1 Below is the result /bin/find: stat() error <File> : No such file or directory (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
28 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode

I am doing FTP from a server and getting below ERROR:WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode File may not have transferred correctly. I looked into web and found that I may need to change the mode to binary, but when I do so the records are not in readable format...So need the file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshilalit2004
10 Replies

10. HP-UX

From a C++ application how to find if a hpux host is in standard mode or trusted mode

is there a way for my C++ application to find out which mode the hpux OS is running in? standard mode or trusted mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: einsteinBrain
3 Replies
SHOWKEY(1)						      General Commands Manual							SHOWKEY(1)

NAME
showkey - examine the codes sent by the keyboard SYNOPSIS
showkey [-h|--help] [-a|--ascii] [-s|--scancodes] [-k|--keycodes] [-V|--version] DESCRIPTION
showkey prints to standard output either the scan codes or the keycode or the `ascii' code of each key pressed. In the first two modes the program runs until 10 seconds have elapsed since the last key press or release event, or until it receives a suitable signal, like SIGTERM, from another process. In `ascii' mode the program terminates when the user types ^D. When in scancode dump mode, showkey prints in hexadecimal format each byte received from the keyboard to the standard output. A new line is printed when an interval of about 0.1 seconds occurs between the bytes received, or when the internal receive buffer fills up. This can be used to determine roughly, what byte sequences the keyboard sends at once on a given key press. The scan code dumping mode is primarily intended for debugging the keyboard driver or other low level interfaces. As such it shouldn't be of much interest to the regular end-user. However, some modern keyboards have keys or buttons that produce scancodes to which the kernel does not associate a keycode, and, after finding out what these are, the user can assign keycodes with setkeycodes(8). When in the default keycode dump mode, showkey prints to the standard output the keycode number or each key pressed or released. The kind of the event, press or release, is also reported. Keycodes are numbers assigned by the kernel to each individual physical key. Every key has always only one associated keycode number, whether the keyboard sends single or multiple scan codes when pressing it. Using showkey in this mode, you can find out what numbers to use in your personalized keymap files. When in `ascii' dump mode, showkey prints to the standard output the decimal, octal, and hexadecimal value(s) of the key pressed, according to he present keymap. OPTIONS
-h --help showkey prints to the standard error output its version number, a compile option and a short usage message, then exits. -s --scancodes Starts showkey in scan code dump mode. -k --keycodes Starts showkey in keycode dump mode. This is the default, when no command line options are present. -a --ascii Starts showkey in `ascii' dump mode. -V --version showkey prints version number and exits. 2.6 KERNELS In 2.6 kernels key codes lie in the range 1-255, instead of 1-127. Key codes larger than 127 are returned as three bytes of which the low order 7 bits are: zero, bits 13-7, and bits 6-0 of the key code. The high order bits are: 0/1 for make/break, 1, 1. In 2.6 kernels raw mode, or scancode mode, is not very raw at all. Scan codes are first translated to key codes, and when scancodes are desired, the key codes are translated back. Various transformations are involved, and there is no guarantee at all that the final result corresponds to what the keyboard hardware did send. So, if you want to know the scan codes sent by various keys it is better to boot a 2.4 kernel. Since 2.6.9 there also is the boot option atkbd.softraw=0 that tells the 2.6 kernel to return the actual scan codes. SEE ALSO
loadkeys(1), dumpkeys(1), keymaps(5), setkeycodes(8) 1 Feb 1998 SHOWKEY(1)