Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script reqd - deleting files Post 302269596 by venkatesht on Thursday 18th of December 2008 05:45:08 AM
Old 12-18-2008
shell script reqd - deleting files

I have written a script that deletes files:

Requirement: i need to delete the files and to know how many files are deleted i.e the count of files and even i need to display when the started time of deletion and the ending time of deletion. I need to display these two times.

script:

Code:
export j
j=0
for i in `find /opt/CGEYScripts -name "core*" -print`
do echo $i
rm -f $i
j=j+1
done
echo `j'

error:
test1:integ>./Purging.sh
/opt/CGEYScripts/coredumps.ctl
/opt/CGEYScripts/cored
./Purging.sh[8]: j: not found

Can anyone modify the script that meets my requirement, please?

Last edited by bakunin; 12-18-2008 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: added code-tags. Please use them yourself from now on

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script: deleting files from a directory

i have the following problem: use shell script: Two directories have to be searched for files havin the same name. then delete these files from one of these directories. the directory names have to be accepted as command line arguments. what i have done till now is: 1. run a loop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onlyc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checklist for Shell Script reqd

Hi, Can anyone provide me with the Code Review Checklist for Shell scripts ?? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kron Shell: deleting all but most recent log files

I am trying to create a Korn Shell script to be run every 5-10 minute from a crontab. This script needs to look for log files (transaction_<date>.log). If there are more than 5 such files, it needs to delete all but the most current 5. How often these files are create varies - can be every minute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WmShaw
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix shell script reqd...

Task: Short Description: To find the files in a particular directory for the previous day, sort them by date and time and e-mail it across to a particular id. And the time is divided into eight fields and based on the time the respective field should be updated with the flag 1. Eight... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting files inside shell script - ( using find)

Hi, I am using the command find /apps/qualdb/gpcn/scripts/cab_outbound/archive -name 'z*' -mtime +28 -exec rm {} \; in unix command prompt for deleting the files in my unix system under the specfied folder. It was succesfull. But when i running this command inside a shell script name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaram.Nambura
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - help Reqd

Hi, I need someone's help in writing a shell script. Since am very new i am stuck . I have 2 files in the same dir. ============================================== FileA Table1~07/07/2009 00:00:00~4 Table1~07/06/2009 00:00:00~41 Table1~07/08/2009 00:00:00~4 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayarajvp
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with shell script for moving/deleting/renaming files

Hi. I need help with a little script that will be used to move some files to their parent directory, delete the directory, rename one file in the parent directory and delete another, then continue to the next. Here's an example: /var/media/Music/Genesis/1970 album - Trespass (2008 Box -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aflower
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reqd in shell scripting..

Hi guys, I am new to shell scripting and I need urgent assistance. I have an xml like : <AgreementNumberFull>13-WY-84252</AgreementNumberFull> <AgreementNumberAbbr>WY84252</AgreementNumberAbbr> <LineOfBusiness>F</LineOfBusiness> <CompanyCode>0005</CompanyCode> <UniqDigit/> <StateCode/> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneetkanchi
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell : deleting only first 2 files in a directory

I have 4 files in a directory and want to delete only first 2 files only.. $ ls -ltr total 640 -rw-r--r-- 1 user other 148779 Oct 12 10:50 file1.xls -rw-r--r-- 1 user other 148779 Oct 12 10:50 file2.xls -rw-r--r-- 1 user other 148779 Oct 12 10:50 file3.xls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies
dce_version(8)															    dce_version(8)

NAME
dce_version - print version information for HP DCE/9000 components SYNOPSIS
/opt/dcelocal/etc/dce_version [-uvlG] [-g group_list] [-f version_file] [files ... ] OPTIONS
-u Print a usage message. -v Print DCE version. This is the default behavior. -l List available groups of interesting files. -F Print the name of the default version information file. -G Search files in all groups for what strings. -g group_list Search files in groups specified by group_list for what strings. group_list is a comma or white-space-separated list of group names. The available group names can be listed with -l. -f version_file Specify an alternate version information file to use. The version information file contains the DCE version string and group/file lists. The default version information file is /opt/dcelocal/etc/dce_vinfo. DESCRIPTION
By default, dce_version prints the version of DCE that is currently installed. It can also print the what strings for one or more groups of ``interesting'' DCE files, list the available group names and descriptions, or search any specified file for DCE what strings. More than one action can be specified in a single invocation of dce_version. Filenames to be searched for DCE what strings should be specified after any command line options. FILES
/opt/dcelocal/etc/dce_vinfo SEE ALSO
what(1) HP DCE
dce_version(8)