Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alternative GUI For FreeBSD
Operating Systems BSD Alternative GUI For FreeBSD Post 302269357 by dkcl on Wednesday 17th of December 2008 12:53:34 PM
Old 12-17-2008
GNOME and KDE are Desktop Environments. Blackbox, Fluxbox, and other *boxen are (floating) Window Managers. Ratpoison and StumpWM are (tiling) Window Managers.

I like Fluxbox, and I *really* love StumpWM. It's all a matter of preference. I suggest you look at screenshots and feature lists and try a few of them, then make up your mind.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop alternative?

I have a 1-column file with random numbers. this script runs to subtract 1 to the number and written to a file. With over 10,000 lines, it takes >2 minutes to complete the loop operation. is there an alternative awk/sed for looping to reduce the wait? Thanks! #!/bin/ksh for N in `cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

du alternative in perl

I have a perl script that just does a `du -sk -x` and formats it to look groovy ( the argument can be a directory but usually is like /usr/local/* ) #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $sizes = `du -x -sk @ARGV | sort -n`; my $total = 0; print "MegaBytes Name\n"; for(split... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

4. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Alternative to Port 25

We're in the process of testing a mail server that we hope will replace our current one that's being hosted by our ISP. We learned a few things along the way and would like to avoid them if possible. The biggest hurdle is getting around port 25 (SMTP). Our work force is approx 75% consultants who... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a GUI without GUI

I was wondering if it is possible to run a GUI window (say Firefox) without actually showing up the window on the desktop but still make it do its own regular stuff (like maybe do something via the command line). Sorry if its a dumb question. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to grep

How to find a particular line in a file without using grep? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for wc -l

Hi techies .. This is my first posting hr .. Am facing a serious performance problem in counting the number of lines in the file. The input files i get will be in some 10 to 15 Gb of size or even sometimes more ..and I will load it to db I have used wc -l to confirm whether the loader... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_2383
14 Replies

9. Solaris

vi alternative

Is there any other editor, installed by 'default' in Sparc Solaris10, besides vi? I'd like to avoid installing anything new. If not, how to make vi more user-friendly? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
8 Replies

10. Programming

Python gui or C++ gui or java gui?

python gui or c++ gui or java gui? and when to use etch one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaja
1 Replies
ACPICONF(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       ACPICONF(8)

NAME
acpiconf -- control ACPI power management SYNOPSIS
acpiconf [-h] [-i batt] [-k ack] [-s type] DESCRIPTION
The acpiconf utility allows the user control of the ACPI power management functions. The following command-line options are recognized: -h Displays a summary of available options. -i batt Get design information about the specified battery. -k ack Ack or abort a pending suspend request using the argument provided. Most users should not use this option directly. -s type Enters the specified sleep mode. Recognized types are 1 (only the CPU clock is stopped), 2 (not implemented on most systems but similar to S1), 3 (the CPU context is lost and memory context is preserved), 4 (the CPU context is lost and memory context is stored to disk) and 5 (soft off). Sleep states may also be given as S1, S2, etc. The supported states depend on BIOS implementation, including ACPI byte code (AML). If the /etc/rc.suspend and /etc/rc.resume scripts are executable, they will be run before and after entering the given sleep state. SEE ALSO
acpi(4), acpidump(8), apm(8) HISTORY
The acpiconf utility appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
The acpiconf utility was written by Mitsuru Iwasaki <iwasaki@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
June 10, 2014 BSD