Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Comparing Version Numbers
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparing Version Numbers Post 302269326 by davewg on Wednesday 17th of December 2008 11:32:01 AM
Old 12-17-2008
It's just for a script in an installer package that needs to check the OS version to ensure it's suitable.

So I have for example decided that 10.4.6 is the required version my install needs and a variable with that value is already set in my script. Then, my script runs and detects that the OS X version of the target is 10.4.11. All I need to do now is to compare them, and then I can return the appropriate result to the installer...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two numbers

Hello, I kinda newbie in unix so I would like so help.I know that there is a command that compares two integer numbers test (eg. #$1=0 ).I would like to know if it is possible to compare any number with another (eg. 2.3=0 or 3.7!=0 4.5>2.2). Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TabloMaxos
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two numbers with the decimals

Can someone tell me how do I comapre two numbers with the decimals in UNIX shell scripting I understand "-gt" can be used only for integers Regards, Giri (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chittari
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing numbers in a file

Hello, I'm searching for a quick method to read numeric values from a file or a defined variable and identifying the largest number. For instance if the following numbers are in a file or defined to a variable: 09192007 09202007 09182007 09172007 09162007 What "short" method could be used to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dusk2dawn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing with numbers.

How to compare a variable with a value like 00:00:10 ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendramv
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Decimal Numbers

Im trying to compare two numbers with decimals but its not working as expected. a=1 b=1.1 if then echo "equal" fi When I do this it says that the numbers are equal. Ultimately Im using -le and -ge in the if statements but I tested with -eq for simplicity. Any way to make this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two numbers with decimal point

How to compare two numbers with decimal points ? Is there a way in bash to do this? (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
33 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Where to being Comparing numbers?

Hi. I do not know how to compare numbers and need help. In my script I have to figure the MAX, MIN, & Avg. Sales amounts. Please help me. In the code, "transaction" is a counter. #!/bin/bash clear transaction=0 sales=0 total=0 while test $sales ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Negative Numbers with If/Else

ValA=-29344 if ; then echo "NEGATIVE" else echo "POSITIVE" fi Can someone please tell me how else they would go about doing the above? When i do it, i get errors such as: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing decimal numbers between 0 and 1

For numbers between 0 and 1 the below logic is not working. Output of above shall be "correct" but its echoing "incorrect".Kindly suggest a=.1 if then echo correct else echo incorrect fi Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsvikas
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing a list of numbers is less than a variable

Hello everyone, I want to compare a list of numbers in the file TEST01 to the variable $Post. Also remove any duplicate numbers. Create an if then statement indicating if the numbers listed in TEST01 is less than the number value of $Post then print an error message. Here is the contents of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies
TWILL(1)							  [FIXME: manual]							  TWILL(1)

NOM
twill-sh - a simple scripting language for Web browsing SYNOPSIS
twill-sh [option] [script(s)] DESCRIPTION
Twill is a simple language that allows users to browse the Web from a command-line interface. With twill, you can navigate through Web sites that use forms, cookies, and most standard Web features. twill-sh lets you interactively browse the Web. OPTIONS
--help/-h print usage information --version/-v Show version information and exit --quiet/-q Do not show normal output --interactive/-i Drop into an interactive shell after running files if any --fail/-f Exit on first file which fails --never-fail/-n Continue executing scripts even if errors occur --url/-u URL Start at the given URL before each script SEE ALSO
twill-fork (1). AUTHORS
Twill was written by C. Titus Brown titus@idyll.org and This manual page was written by Arnaud Fontaine arnau@debian.org for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Arnaud Fontaine [FIXME: source] april 10, 2007 TWILL(1)