Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Comparing Version Numbers
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparing Version Numbers Post 302269320 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 17th of December 2008 11:19:09 AM
Old 12-17-2008
You have to know ahead of time or lookup what the newest version is: off the net with maybe wget or from a file.. The OS does not know anything about what the newest version is.

I really do not understand what you are doing. If you are deploying something that requires version c of the OS (or some utility) on a box running version a, what do you intend to do in your code?

Code like that should abend with an error message complaining about versions, in the worst case.

A more user-friendly approach is to do what sysconf() does - learn about the system, then call code which is friendly to the environment. Find a way not to have to issue a nasty message. Especially if you want users to actually use the code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two numbers

Hello, I kinda newbie in unix so I would like so help.I know that there is a command that compares two integer numbers test (eg. #$1=0 ).I would like to know if it is possible to compare any number with another (eg. 2.3=0 or 3.7!=0 4.5>2.2). Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TabloMaxos
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two numbers with the decimals

Can someone tell me how do I comapre two numbers with the decimals in UNIX shell scripting I understand "-gt" can be used only for integers Regards, Giri (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chittari
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing numbers in a file

Hello, I'm searching for a quick method to read numeric values from a file or a defined variable and identifying the largest number. For instance if the following numbers are in a file or defined to a variable: 09192007 09202007 09182007 09172007 09162007 What "short" method could be used to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dusk2dawn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing with numbers.

How to compare a variable with a value like 00:00:10 ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendramv
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Decimal Numbers

Im trying to compare two numbers with decimals but its not working as expected. a=1 b=1.1 if then echo "equal" fi When I do this it says that the numbers are equal. Ultimately Im using -le and -ge in the if statements but I tested with -eq for simplicity. Any way to make this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two numbers with decimal point

How to compare two numbers with decimal points ? Is there a way in bash to do this? (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
33 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Where to being Comparing numbers?

Hi. I do not know how to compare numbers and need help. In my script I have to figure the MAX, MIN, & Avg. Sales amounts. Please help me. In the code, "transaction" is a counter. #!/bin/bash clear transaction=0 sales=0 total=0 while test $sales ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Negative Numbers with If/Else

ValA=-29344 if ; then echo "NEGATIVE" else echo "POSITIVE" fi Can someone please tell me how else they would go about doing the above? When i do it, i get errors such as: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing decimal numbers between 0 and 1

For numbers between 0 and 1 the below logic is not working. Output of above shall be "correct" but its echoing "incorrect".Kindly suggest a=.1 if then echo correct else echo incorrect fi Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsvikas
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing a list of numbers is less than a variable

Hello everyone, I want to compare a list of numbers in the file TEST01 to the variable $Post. Also remove any duplicate numbers. Create an if then statement indicating if the numbers listed in TEST01 is less than the number value of $Post then print an error message. Here is the contents of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies
Error Handling Helpers(3)					   globus common					 Error Handling Helpers(3)

NAME
Error Handling Helpers - Error Match globus_bool_t globus_error_match (globus_object_t *error, globus_module_descriptor_t *module, int type) Print Error Chain char * globus_error_print_chain (globus_object_t *error) Print User Friendly Error Message char * globus_error_print_friendly (globus_object_t *error) Detailed Description Helper functions for dealing with Globus Generic Error objects. This section defines utility functions for dealing with Globus Generic Error objects. Function Documentation globus_bool_t globus_error_match (globus_object_t *error, globus_module_descriptor_t *module, inttype) Check whether the error originated from a specific module and is of a specific type. This function checks whether the error or any of it's causative errors originated from a specific module and is of a specific type. If the module descriptor is left unspecified this function will check for any error of the specified type and vice versa. Parameters: error The error object for which to perform the check module The module descriptor to check for type The type to check for Returns: GLOBUS_TRUE - the error matched the module and type GLOBUS_FALSE - the error failed to match the module and type char* globus_error_print_chain (globus_object_t *error) Return a string containing all printable errors found in a error object and it's causative error chain. If the GLOBUS_ERROR_VERBOSE env is set, file, line and function info will also be printed (where available). Otherwise, only the module name will be printed. Parameters: error The error to print Returns: A string containing all printable errors. This string needs to be freed by the user of this function. char* globus_error_print_friendly (globus_object_t *error) Return a string containing error messages from the top 1 and bottom 3 objects, and, if found, show a friendly error message. The error chain will be searched from top to bottom until a friendly handler is found and a friendly message is created. If the GLOBUS_ERROR_VERBOSE env is set, then the result from globus_error_print_chain() will be used. Parameters: error The error to print Returns: A string containing a friendly error message. This string needs to be freed by the user of this function. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for globus common from the source code. Version 14.7 Tue Nov 27 2012 Error Handling Helpers(3)