Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users command to insert a record at a particular loaction Post 302269250 by ynilesh on Wednesday 17th of December 2008 06:50:45 AM
Old 12-17-2008
I feel, you need to write small code to do this. check echo manpage if you get anything...
Code:
info coreutils 'echo invocation'

- $nilesh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a record in fixed width flatfile

I have a fixed width flatfile with 5 columns, i will load file from oracle database to the flatfile for every 15 min at the end of the file, i want to insert a record by calling a shell script for inserting a record. please can any one help me. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limou
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy particular record with cp command

Hi , I have a table of 5 records. I am using FOR condition in this table. Using FOR , I want to copy those particular record into someother file which satisfies the condition. How to use 'cp' command in this situation in UNIX For Ex No Prod Price Bar Code 1 Colgate 23 34564 col 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: devmns
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command : how to insert text at the cursor location via command line?

Hi, Well my title isn't very clear I think. So to understand my goal: I have a script "test1" #!/bin/bash xvkbd -text blabla with xbindkeys, I bind F5 key in order it runs my test1 script So when I press F5, test1 runs. I'm under Emacs/Vi and I press F5 in order to have "blabla" be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

MSQL insert record

Hi All, I have created a script to capture process run by the user & put into to mysql DB. But some how i am anot able to insert output of ps aux as below sting in mysql db. ######################################... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record all users' command

Hi experts, .history can record one user's own command history, but my request is, I want to record all users who run commands on that box, and export the commands to a file somewhere, which record the userid, time and full command. Is it possible? I just need for audit, and trace back, if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newoz
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a single quote to each record

I have a file as: 1 New used 1 used New I need o/p as: '1' 'New' 'used' '1' 'used' 'New' (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a header record (tab delimited) in multiple files

Hi Forum. I'm struggling to find a solution for the following issue. I have multiple files a1.txt, a2.txt, a3.txt, etc. and I would like to insert a tab-delimited header record at the beginning of each of the files. This is my code so far but it's not working as expected. for i in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

9. Programming

MYSQL - trigger update on record insert or update

Right I have a MYSQL database with table1 with 3 columns, colA, colB and colC. I want to combine the data in the 3 columns into a 4th column names col_comb. Here's the SQL command that works: UPDATE table1 SET `col_comb` = CONCAT( `colA` , ' - ', `colB` , ', ', `colC` ); So now I want this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert field values in a record using awk command

Hi Friends, Below is my input file with "|" (pipe) as filed delimiter: My Input File: HDR|F1|F2||||F6|F7 I want to inser values in the record for field 4 and field 5. Expected output HDR|F1|F2||F4|F5|F6|F7 I am able to append the string to the end of the record, but not in between the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajay Venkatesan
3 Replies
ECHO(1) 							   User Commands							   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]... echo LONG-OPTION DESCRIPTION
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of backslash escapes -E disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If -e is in effect, the following sequences are recognized: \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output e escape f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NNN byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey. REPORTING BUGS
Report echo bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report echo translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'echo invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 ECHO(1)