Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Effects of grep -o when it's not available Post 302268901 by earnstaf on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 01:57:07 PM
Old 12-16-2008
Effects of grep -o when it's not available

I'm on a Solaris box that doesn't have -o as an option for grep (trying to return match only).

Is there any way to get this functionality without the -o option?

I've tried both sed and awk doing something like:
Code:
echo "this is a test" | awk '/test/'
or
echo "this is a test | sed '/test/p'

but those match on the whole line, just as grep does without a -o.

Ideas?

edit:
from the man page:
Quote:
-o, --only-matching
Show only the part of a matching line that matches PATTERN

Last edited by earnstaf; 12-16-2008 at 03:44 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Effects on data size during encrypted transfer

Hi There, I wonder if any one can help me. I want to transfer a file from one site to another over an encrypted link. I want to know if there will be any imcrease in the data that will travel on the link? For example, I want to transfer a 1 GB file from one site to another, using an encrypted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmerin
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

3D effects on RHEL6 OC

Hello, I just installed RHEL6 OC on my T61p. It's great! Just for fun I'd like to use some fancy cool Desktop effects. I tried to enable 3D Desktop effects from OC Welcome Center but it gave me error message: Accelerated 3D graphics is not available. Desktop effects require hardware 3D support.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: susja
7 Replies

3. Red Hat

3d effects in rhel6

I installed rhel 6.0 in my laptop but it is not upporting 3d graphics of rhel6 and i am getting an error message "Accelerated 3d graphics not available Desktop effects require hardware 3D support." my laptop is dll studio 1558 and my graphic card is ATI Radeon 5470 with 1 gb dedicated ram. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshgupta
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

Effects of /etc/fstab file!

Hi Folks! I accidentally overwrote in /etc/fstab file. Can you guys please tell me, what impact it would have created, when I restarted the machine(RHEL6). I executed this command : # blkid /dev/vda5 > /etc/fstab (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
17 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubuntu encryption and its effects

How will Full Disk encryption effect how open-source software is compiled and run using ubuntu 14.04. Are there alternatives that are recommended? Thank you :). (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Remove filter effects from downloaded videos?

Does anyone know a way to remove filter effects from videos downloaded from YouTube or elsewhere, preferably with software that runs in Windows 7? Thank you in anticipation. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quadphonic
1 Replies
LSDIFF(1)																 LSDIFF(1)

NAME
lsdiff - show which files are modified by a patch SYNOPSIS
lsdiff [-n] [-p n] [--strip=n] [--addprefix=PREFIX] [-s] [-i PATTERN] [-x PATTERN] [-v] [file...] lsdiff {--help | --version | --filter ... | --grep ...} DESCRIPTION
List the files modified by a patch. You can use both unified and context format diffs with this program. OPTIONS
-n Display the line number that each patch begins at. If verbose output is requested, each hunk of each patch is listed as well. For each file that is modified, a line is generated containing the line number of the beginning of the patch, followed by a Tab character, followed by the name of the file that is modified. If -v is given, following each of these lines will be one line for each hunk, consisting of a Tab character, the line number that the hunk begins at, another Tab character, the string ``Hunk #'', and the hunk number (starting at 1). -p n When matching, ignore the first n components of the pathname. --strip=n Remove the first n components of the pathname before displaying it. --addprefix=PREFIX Prefix the pathname with PREFIX before displaying it. -s Show file additions, modifications and removals. A file addition is indicated by a ``+'', a removal by a ``-'', and a modification by a ``!''. -i PATTERN Include only files matching PATTERN. -x PATTERN Exclude files matching PATTERN. -v Verbose output. --help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of lsdiff. --filter Behave like filterdiff(1) instead. --grep Behave like grepdiff(1) instead. SEE ALSO
filterdiff(1), grepdiff(1) EXAMPLES
To sort the order of touched files in a patch, you can use: lsdiff patch | sort -u | xargs -rn1 filterdiff patch -i To show only added files in a patch: lsdiff -s patch | grep '^+' | cut -c2- | xargs -rn1 filterdiff patch -i To show the headers of all file hunks: lsdiff -n patch | (while read n file do sed -ne "$n,$(($n+1))p" patch done) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>. patchutils 13 May 2002 LSDIFF(1)