Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming kill a process which run out of time Post 302268769 by nicos on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 09:11:34 AM
Old 12-16-2008
kill a process which run out of time

hello everybody!!
i want ur help! it is urgent!!

pid=fork();
if(pid==0)
{
execl(a program);
exit(1);}
else if (pid>0)
{
timer(5); //(command 1)timer is a function that count up to 5sec
if(kill(pid,0)==0)kill(pid,9);//(command 2)
wait(&status);
}
else
perror("error");
The purpose of command1 and command2 is, if the execution of child process
does not finish in 5sec(timer(5)), i want to kill it (kill(pid,9)).
Can anybody pleasee help why this thing does not work properly!!!
THANX in advance!:-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Process Run time information

Hello, I am working on Sun Solaris 5.7. I am trying to read the running time of a process through a C program. One way I am reading it is by using the command ps -<pid> -f The other way is from the struct psinfo_t which is there under /proc/pid/psinfo. However, the two times are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hmurali
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How ti kill a process which is consuming so much time

There is a process which is consuming too much time.. how to find that process and kill it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreenivas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run process in certain date and time

hi all! i want to run a process in certain date and hour (like feb 2007 ,hour 3 p.m) how shell i write it my script call cs-update-pr another question :as the script running, will i see it as process ?ho does it run background? and if not - how can i define to him to run background? thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run multiple process at the same time

Hello guys, Look what im doing: I need to run a process from a SERVER1 to SERVER2, SERVER3 and SERVER4. The shell of the process is in each SERVER (2 to 4) So from SERVER1 i do: for i in SERVER2 SERVER3 SERVER4 do rsh $i ' ./process.sh ' done The problem is: each process.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run process with nohup every certain time

Hi, I need execute a script every 30 minutes. As might be done without using cron Thx. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
6 Replies

6. AIX

kill process that run more then 1 day

hi all i need a script which will find all the processes witht the name of xxx and kill all those processes that runs for more than 1 day. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elii
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kill a process after a certain amount of time

I would like to kill a process after a certain amount of time. Can I please get some ideas on how to do this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with kill a specific process after certain running time

Hi, Do anybody experience to write a bash script in order to kill a specific process (java) after certain time of running? eg. java java.jar task_run.txt I will run a java program (java.jar) which will run a long list of process (task_run.txt) one by one. I plan to terminate the java... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To run 5 commands at the same time with process from a list

I have many command is list in the variable lists,each command will run a very long time, so I want to run 5 commands at the same time with process till it complete run all the command, lists="aa bb cc dd xx gg blabla zz ......." ( a very long list) can some one point me the codes? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies
KILL(1) 							   User Commands							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)