Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting use of format file to extract columns from a source file Post 302268637 by subhendu81 on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 04:14:58 AM
Old 12-16-2008
ya .....absolutely...
Thanks a lot.....

while comparing the output file with another file i am getting an error as below:

"0403-007 Generated or received a file descriptor number
that is not valid."

here is the code:

counter=1
exec 3< $new_required_file

while read -u3 line
do
grep "$line" $file1 1>/dev/null
(( counter += 1 ))
done

its showing error for the two lines:

exec 3< $new_required_file

while read -u3 line

Can you please help me in removing that error.

Thanks,
Subhendu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract and format information from a file

Hi, Following is sample portion of the file; <JDBCConnectionPool DriverName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver" MaxCapacity="10" Name="MyApp_DevPool" PasswordEncrypted="{3DES}7tXFH69Xg1c=" Properties="user=MYAPP_ADMIN" ShrinkingEnabled="false" ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujoy101
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, need to extract columns from file

I have huge fixed width, text file in unix box and I need to extract columns found between the width 105 and 200 and output it to a new file. Can anyone tell me how to extract it? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiran2k
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to extract a particular file in tar.Z format

Hi , I need to extarct only a particulay files from the tar.Z. ie i need to extract one.txt from test.tar.Z. The test.tar.Z may contain lot of file and folders. Please help me to extract particular file to some location. Regards, Kalai. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Columns from file

Hi All, Could you please help me with following: I have to parse a .csv file. For example: If the csv file contains 3 columns, then i have to print the column names. The field separator is (comma). example.csv (contains 2 lines as follows) This is,a test file, for validation... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

fileutility to extract columns from source file

Hi experts,Please help me for the below requirement.i have a source file.(lets say contains 50 columns). I am extarcting five columns from the source file by using pattern file.for exampleinput file:--------a,b,c,d,"a,g","v b",s,koutputfile=======a,"a,g","v b",s,kThanks in advancesubhendu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns using pattern file from source file

Hi experts,Please help me for the below requirement. i have a source file.(lets say contains 50 columns). I am extarcting five columns from the source file by using pattern file. for example input file:--------a,b,c,d,"a,g","v b",s,koutputfile=======a,"a,g","v b",s,kThanks in advance subhendu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Split a source file in specified format?

Requirement: Need to split a source file say a1.txt which can be of size upto 150 MB into 25 target files each with a max size of 25 MB along with the header line in each target file. NOTE: Few target files can be empty also ,but 25 files must be generated for 1 source file( I can expect upto... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the correct format of file Name

All, Objective : Extract the correct format of a file name. Please share the script command which will extract the correct format of the file after untarring. Example : If the file is of .csv format then extract filename.csv if the file is having .CSV then extract the same.CSV if the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mahesh G
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns into seperate file

I have a comma delimited file as per the one below and I am currently extracting the values in 2 columns (COL1 & COL6) to produce a smaller trimmed down version of the file which only contains the columns we need; COL1,COL2,COL3,COL4,COL5,COL6,COL7,COL8,COL9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ads89
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Columns in one file and extract columns from another file

Kindly help merging information from two files with the following data structure. I want to match for the CHR-SNP in Foo and get the columns that match from CHROM-rsID Fields 1 & 2 of foo may have duplicates, however, a joint key of Fields $1$2$3$4 is unique. Also would be helpful to clean up... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
4 Replies
nomarch(1)							Archive Extraction							nomarch(1)

NAME
nomarch - extract `.arc' archives SYNOPSIS
nomarch [-hlptUv] [archive.arc] [match1 [match2 ... ]] DESCRIPTION
nomarch lists, extracts, or tests `.arc' archives. (An alternate extension sometimes used was `.ark'; these work too.) This is a very out- dated file format which should certainly not be used for anything new, but you may still need an extraction utility, and here it is. :-) The default action is to extract all files in the specified archive; see OPTIONS below for how to do other things instead. OPTIONS
-h give terse usage help. -l list files in archive. If verbose listings are enabled, it shows the filename, compression method, compressed/uncompressed size, date/time, and CRC; but by default, it just shows the filename, uncompressed size, and date/time. -p extract to standard output, rather than to separate files. -t test files in archive (more precisely, check file CRCs). -U use uppercase filenames; more precisely, preserve original case from archive. -v give verbose output (when used with `-l'). archive.arc the archive to operate on. match1 etc. optionally specify which archive members to list/extract/test. Those which match any of these filenames/wildcards are processed. Wildcard operators supported are shell-like `*' and `?', but don't forget to quote arguments which use these (e.g. `nomarch foo.arc '*.bar''). EXTRACTING MULTIPLE ARCHIVES
nomarch follows the `unzip'-like practice of working on only one archive per run, with further `filenames' given on the command-line actu- ally specifying files to extract (or whatever). The easiest way to work on multiple files with nomarch is simply to run it multiple times using for; for example: for i in *.arc; do nomarch $i; done The above would extract all archives in the current directory. USING THE PROGRAM FROM EMACS
Emacs's arc-mode facility lets you work with various kinds of archive file directly from the editor. Making it use nomarch for extracting `.arc' files isn't too hard. Just add the following to your ~/.emacs file: (setq archive-arc-extract '("nomarch" "-U")) BUGS
The CRC used by the format is only 16-bit, so `-t' is a less-than-perfect test. One compression method, obsolete even by `.arc' standards :-), isn't supported yet. This is partly because I've yet to find a single file which uses it, despite testing an awful lot of files. Subdirectories in Spark archives are extracted as the `.arc'-format files they really are, which may not be terribly convenient. SEE ALSO
tar(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lbrate(1) AUTHOR
Russell Marks (rus@svgalib.org). Version 1.4 18th June, 2006 nomarch(1)