Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How does pipe work?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How does pipe work? Post 302268585 by Leion on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 01:44:04 AM
Old 12-16-2008
Question How does pipe work?

I am confused over piping. Smilie

A | B

Will A and B run at the same time? or must A finish running before B starts to run?

Suppose I want to do the following:

Code:
sqlplus ... | split -1000 - filename_

sqlplus will return 1million rows, I want write the output into files of 1000 records each.

Does sqlplus finish running before split starts to run?
I am concern with the huge amount of data in the pipe before split can even run...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

By angle-brackets/"pipe" button doesn't work?

How can I configure it? I have a swedish keyboard with swedish keyboard setting. Everything works perfectly (едц) except that button. What can be wrong? /Richard ++ NOTE: It seems like the computer notices the input but that the button isn't assigned to anything (the keyboard-cursor stops).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riwa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Avoid intermediate files when pipe does nt work

problem with piping one output to another.Would like to avoid the intermediate file creation.The piping does nt work on places where files have been created and goes in an endless loop. sed -e "s/^\.\///g" $LINE1| sed -e "s/_\(\)/kkk\1/g" > $file1 tr -s '_' ' ' < $file1| \ sort -n -k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w020637
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk's getline < "-" seems not work for pipe

Hi all, I have an gawk script to get user's input, So I use getline name < "-" (or getline name < "/dev/stdin") in my script They both work fine when my script deals with files. But it is broken for pipes. When I try "some command | my awk script", the variable name just gets an empty... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to grep doesn't work in bash script

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that checks gvfs to see if a mount exists so I can run it from network-manager's status hooks. I thought I'd pipe the output of gvfs-mount -l to grep for the particular mounts I care about. When I do this in a bash script: cmnd="gvfs-mount -l | grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcstrom
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does bc work with 'here string' and not via pipe in this example?

Hi! I actually got it running, but I still would like to understand, why and how, since I am a beginner in bash scripting. I Need floating numbers and thus use bc in my bash script. Here it is: #!/bin/bash num1="10^-15" | bc -l #power function piped to bc - DOES NOT WORK echo $num1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McHale
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Would pipe work better with this command

Hi again, have a script that I would like run, but before I can run it I need to strip out the windows \r end of lines. I have put the command into a text file and set the command to run every 10 seconds the coomand I use to do this is while sleep 10; do... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
15 Replies

10. IP Networking

Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1?

hi all. and sorry for the random question, but this sparkled a raging flame-war at work and i want more points of view situation a router, with linux of some sort, dhcp client requesting for ip in wan1 (as usual with wan ports) dhcp server listening in lan1, and assigning ip (as usual... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
9 Replies
split(1)						      General Commands Manual							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
line_count] suffix_length] [file [name]] nsuffix_length] [file [name]] Obsolescent n] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
reads file and writes it in pieces (default 1000 lines) onto a set of output files. The name of the first output file is name with appended, and so on lexicographically, up to (only ASCII letters are used, a maximum of 676 files). If no output name is given, is the default. If no input file is given, or if is given instead, the standard input file is used. Options recognizes the following command-line options and arguments: The input file is split into pieces line_count lines in size. suffix_length letters are used to form the suffix of the output filenames. This option allows creation of more than 676 output files. The output file names created cannot exceed the maximum file name length allowed in the directory containing the files. The input file is split into pieces n bytes in size. The input file is split into pieces n x 1024 bytes in size. No space separates the n from the The input file is split into pieces n x 1048576 bytes in size. No space separates the n from the The input file is split into pieces n lines in size. This option is obsolescent and is equivalent to using the option. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the locale for the interpretation of text as single- and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. SEE ALSO
csplit(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
split(1)