Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looking for a perl script (windows) to delete the contents of a file Post 302268191 by ntgobinath on Monday 15th of December 2008 07:08:35 AM
Old 12-15-2008
Otherwise, I would like to empty the contents of the file instead of deleting the file. Is it possible?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i delete the contents of one file based on another file

Hi all, I have two log files A and B. Where files A have 10 lines and file b has 5 lines. Out of them 3 lines are common to both of them. I want to compare both the files and want to delete the common data from file A(file B should remain as it is) example : file A : 1 2 3 4... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to copy contents of a web page

Hi All, Sorry to ask this question and i am not sure whether it is possible. please reply to my question. Thanks in advance. I need a perl script ( or any linux compatible scripts ) to copy the graphical contents of the webpage to a word pad. Say for example, i have a documentation site... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.linux1984
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of a file using PERL

Hi My requirement is to read the contents of a fixed length file and validate the same. But am not able to read the contents of the file and when i tried it to print i get <blank> as an output... I used the below satatements for printing the contents ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meva
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file contents in perl...

Hi, I have the file like this: #Contents of file 1 are: Dec 10 12:33:44 User1 Interface: Probe Dec 10 12:33:47 uSER1 SOME DATA Dec 10 12:33:47 user1 Interface: MSGETYPE Dec 10 12:34:48 user1 ID: 10. Dec 10 12:33:55 user1 Interface: MSGTYPE Dec 10 12:33:55 user1 Id: 9 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanitham
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to delete contents in a directory by date

Hi , I am trying to make a cron job to delete the contents of a directory in a linux environment.The contents created before 2 days should get deleted by this job.Here is what i have written : /usr/bin/find / -name *.log -ctime +2 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \; Is it correct....If not so,please... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: d8011
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script for Calling a function and writing all its contents to a file

I have a function which does awk proceessing sub mergeDescription { system (q@awk -F'~' ' NR == FNR { A = $1 B = $2 C = $0 next } { n = split ( C, V, "~" ) if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to Merge contents of 2 different excel files in a single excel file

All, I have an excel sheet Excel1.xls that has some entries. I have one more excel sheet Excel2.xls that has entries only in those cells which are blank in Excel1.xls These may be in different workbooks. They are totally independent made by 2 different users. I have placed them in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD