Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX sendmail/ntp/qdaemon not starting automaticlly after reboot ?! Post 302268165 by shockneck on Monday 15th of December 2008 06:09:21 AM
Old 12-15-2008
rc.tcpip is called from the inittab so you might check whether it is activated at runlevel 2. Sometimes inittab is rewritten, e.g. HACMP changes start of rc.tcpip from runlevel 2 to runlevel a and most daemons are activated when the cluster starts only.
Another possibility was that the install assistant did not run after a fresh install. Check inittab for entry calling a script named "firstboot". If it exists reactivate the install assistant with smitty install_assist and follow the steps.
If rc.tcpip was called from inittab at runlevel 2 but the daemons are deactivated after you log in check the boot process with
# alog -ot boot
and look for messages related to the daemons you mentioned.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

qdaemon

I am being taught UNIX hands on. Recently, I have been having problems with my qdaemon going down. I know that the short cut to start it is startsrc -s qdaemon. My question is, through smit, processes & subsystems, subsystems, start a subsystem... I know it is the qdaemon I want to start,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spunky
2 Replies

2. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

3. Solaris

starting Oracle on Reboot

Hi All, I have to maunally startup oracle and the associated listeners whenever the Sun Solaris server is rebooted. Is there any way by which, everytime the server boots up, The Oracle startups itself. Do we need to change the init.ora file or the init.d file? Please let me know which files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

4. AIX

Can you stop qdaemon from emailing users?

Morning, All. Does anyone know how to stop qdaemon from emailing users when print jobs fail? This is causing a problem as the application that we use is mail-aware; users get a prompt onscreen when they have unread mail in their UNIX account, however they don't all have access to the part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting daemons at reboot.

I rebooted my server (solaris 5.8) and I had to manually start the cron and mailx daemons. How do I get these to automatically start at reboot? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem starting Sendmail on Solaris 9

Hi, I am getting problem in starting up Sendmail on solaris. When I do /etc/init.d/sendmail start in Process list it shows sendmail process properly. But when I do portcheck by netstat it doesn't show Port 25/smtp. What could be the problem ? Thanks NeeleshG (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
6 Replies

7. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies

10. Linux

Application services not starting with server reboot

Hi All, My application uses three different sub-services to make complete application up and running to normal. The entry of all the three services are present in /etc/init.d directory with proper softlink created to application home path where it actually exists. In one rare case one of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk_kamozalwar
3 Replies
MAILER.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    MAILER.CONF(5)

NAME
mailer.conf -- configuration file for mailwrapper(8) DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/mailer.conf contains a series of lines of the form name program [arguments ...] The first word of each line is the name of a program invoking mailwrapper(8). (For example, on a typical system /usr/sbin/sendmail would be a symbolic link to mailwrapper(8), as would newaliases(1) and mailq(1). Thus, name might be ``sendmail'' or ``newaliases'' etc.) The second word of each line is the name of the program to actually execute when the first name is invoked. The further arguments, if any, are passed to the program, followed by the arguments mailwrapper(8) was called with. The file may also contain comment lines, denoted by a '#' mark in the first column of any line. The default mailer is postfix(1), which will also start by default (unless specifically disabled via an rc.conf(5) setting) so that locally generated mail can be delivered, if the ``sendmail'' setting in /etc/mailer.conf is set to ``/usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail''. FILES
/etc/mailer.conf EXAMPLES
This example shows how to set up mailer.conf to invoke the postfix(1) program: sendmail /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail mailq /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail newaliases /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail This example shows the use of the mini-sendmail package from pkgsrc in place of postfix(1): # Send outgoing mail to a smart relay using mini-sendmail sendmail /usr/pkg/sbin/mini-sendmail -srelayhost send-mail /usr/pkg/sbin/mini-sendmail -srelayhost Note the use of additional arguments. SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), postfix(1), mailwrapper(8) pkgsrc/mail/sendmail, pkgsrc/mail/mini_sendmail HISTORY
mailer.conf appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the ``behave differently if invoked with a different name'' behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
April 10, 2010 BSD