Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Timestamp comparison
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Timestamp comparison Post 302268053 by cfajohnson on Monday 15th of December 2008 01:03:10 AM
Old 12-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzark
How do I compare 2 timestamps (ie... if 2008-02-13 10:48:58.502075 gt 2008-12-15 16:00:00.000000)

The easiest way is to use GNU date:

Code:
ts1="2008-02-13 10:48:58.502075"
ts2="2008-12-15 16:00:00.000000"

[ $( date -d "$ts1" +%s ) -gt $( date -d "$ts2" +%s ) ]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp comparison

Hi all, below is my sample log file 02.20.38 .CASH_I_0069 RPM_RUN_DISTRIBUTION RPM_RUN_DISTRIBUTION 0001 1987 Started at 02.19.11 at node IEREDS17, Pid = 00492972 02.50.39 .CASH_I_0054 RPM_RUN_DISTRIBUTION RPM_RUN_DISTRIBUTION 0001 1987 Completed at 02.49.13, code: 00000000 at node IEREDS17,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zainravi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp comparison of 2 files present in 2 different servers

Hi, I have 2 different log servers and logs are stored in both of them at varied times. Those servers have same files stored at different times. I want to retrieve the latest of the log files that are stored inthe servers. Say "file.log" is present on both servers, i want to check which of it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutham4u
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of a timestamp and mtime of a file

Hi, I am a beginner in shell scripting. Could any one help me out for below requirement. Its bit urgent. Problem scenario: 1) I have a predefined timestamp (Ex. 2011-03-010 10:10:20) 2) And I have files in a directory starting with 'a' (Ex. a_123.txt, a_124.txt) Expected solution: I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itzsamz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp

I need to be able to identify files with file timestamps greater than a given timestamp. I am using the following solution, although it appears to compare files at the "seconds" granularity and I need it at the milliseconds. When I tested my solution, it missed files that had timestamps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of timestamp on ftp

Hello Need help with shell script There is are files on my ftp. They overwriting every hour from other places. ls -la /home/ftp/ -rw-r--r-- 1 ftp nogroup 2296 2012-08-11 12:59 G1.zip -rw-r--r-- 1 ftp nogroup 6676 2012-08-11 13:00 KRT1.zip -rw-r--r-- 1 ftp nogroup 5169... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ck80
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp

So basically I have a log file and each line in this log file starts with a timestamp: MON DD HH:MM:SS SEP 15 07:30:01 I need to grep all the lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp. Then these lines will be moved to a tmp file from which I will grep for particular strings. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
QSORT(3P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							 QSORT(3P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
qsort -- sort a table of data SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void qsort(void *base, size_t nel, size_t width, int (*compar)(const void *, const void *)); DESCRIPTION
The functionality described on this reference page is aligned with the ISO C standard. Any conflict between the requirements described here and the ISO C standard is unintentional. This volume of POSIX.1-2008 defers to the ISO C standard. The qsort() function shall sort an array of nel objects, the initial element of which is pointed to by base. The size of each object, in bytes, is specified by the width argument. If the nel argument has the value zero, the comparison function pointed to by compar shall not be called and no rearrangement shall take place. The application shall ensure that the comparison function pointed to by compar does not alter the contents of the array. The implementation may reorder elements of the array between calls to the comparison function, but shall not alter the contents of any individual element. When the same objects (consisting of width bytes, irrespective of their current positions in the array) are passed more than once to the comparison function, the results shall be consistent with one another. That is, they shall define a total ordering on the array. The contents of the array shall be sorted in ascending order according to a comparison function. The compar argument is a pointer to the comparison function, which is called with two arguments that point to the elements being compared. The application shall ensure that the function returns an integer less than, equal to, or greater than 0, if the first argument is considered respectively less than, equal to, or greater than the second. If two members compare as equal, their order in the sorted array is unspecified. RETURN VALUE
The qsort() function shall not return a value. ERRORS
No errors are defined. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
The comparison function need not compare every byte, so arbitrary data may be contained in the elements in addition to the values being compared. RATIONALE
The requirement that each argument (hereafter referred to as p) to the comparison function is a pointer to elements of the array implies that for every call, for each argument separately, all of the following expressions are non-zero: ((char *)p - (char *)base) % width == 0 (char *)p >= (char *)base (char *)p < (char *)base + nel * width FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
alphasort() The Base Definitions volume of POSIX.1-2008, <stdlib.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2013 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7, Copyright (C) 2013 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. (This is POSIX.1-2008 with the 2013 Technical Corrigendum 1 applied.) In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Stan- dard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.unix.org/online.html . Any typographical or formatting errors that appear in this page are most likely to have been introduced during the conversion of the source files to man page format. To report such errors, see https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/reporting_bugs.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2013 QSORT(3P)