Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tar: how to preserve atime? (also on extracted version, not just original) Post 302268023 by frankie06 on Sunday 14th of December 2008 10:29:35 PM
Old 12-14-2008
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_rizzo
can you add --atime-preserve when you do the extract?
Sure. Same result. Files are as in previous shell log.

$ rm destination/bla*
$ cd destination/
$ tar --atime-preserve -xvpf archive.tar
bla1
bla2
$ ls -lt b*
-rw-r--r-- 1 dsilt2 dsilt2 4 2008-12-15 03:52 bla2
-rw-r--r-- 1 dsilt2 dsilt2 4 2007-07-07 22:22 bla1
$ ls -ltu b*
-rw-r--r-- 1 dsilt2 dsilt2 4 2008-12-15 04:22 bla1
-rw-r--r-- 1 dsilt2 dsilt2 4 2008-12-15 04:22 bla2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Original BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11)

Just dusted off an old version of the Byte UNIX Benchmarks from our old benchmark days at http://linux.silkroad.com/ and ran them against www.unix.com: ============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- Linux www 2.4.20 #2 Mon... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tell what version of tar I have?

I know this should be easy, but Google is not turning up any results: How can I find out what version of software (like tar and gzip) I have installed on my Sun box? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about UNIX? original version?

sorry for my English We'll report about Unix in my school, for Operating Systems subject... with Installation demo.... I'm wondering if System V, which is from original developers AT&T still exist and downloadable? because I cant find it anywhere... then i found out that Solaris, MacOS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slowchem
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP tar version

Guys, I need to know what version of tar i am using in our HP B11.11 box (model = 9000/800/rp8420 ). We have created a tar file and i wanted to know if the tar version i used supported 8GB-sized files (Check sanity of the archived file). As you know old version of tar is limited to files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marlonus999
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

preserve guid:uid tar / cp

hello, i've a backup of a xen image which was tar'ed. i extracted the tarfile with --preserve and moved it to the lvm partition useing cp -p to preserve the ownership informations of the files in this step too. but unfortunatly after extracting the archive some uid and guids which are present... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coffeecup
5 Replies

7. AIX

tar version

Hi How to find the version of tar installed in my aix box ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete original files after using a tar operation.

I have a list of log files in a directory. Once i tar them I need to remove the original log files. How do i do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manutd
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command to preserve the folder/file arrangement

Hi, I do have question for un tar a file. I have several 'tar'ed files. For example: SRS.tar.bz2. I was trying to untar them in a linux server using the command: tar xvjf SRS.tar.bz2 It worked perfectly. but when I open this file in my mac computer all the files are extracted into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print duplicate row along with highest version of original

There are some duplicate field on description column .I want to print duplicate row along with highest version of number and corresponding description column. file1.txt number Description === ============ 34567 nl21a00is-centerdb001:ncdbareq:Error in loading init 34577 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_rajni
7 Replies
SENDFILES(1)							     [nmh-1.5]							      SENDFILES(1)

NAME
sendfiles - send multiple files via a MIME message SYNOPSIS
sendfiles [delay] mailpath subject file1 [file2 ...] DESCRIPTION
The shell script sendfiles, is used to send a collection of files and directories via electronic mail. sendfiles mailpath "subject" files ... sendfiles will archive the files and directories you name with the tar command, and then mail the compressed archive to the "mailpath" with the given "subject". The archive will be automatically split up into as many messages as necessary in order to get past most mailers. Sometimes you want sendfiles to pause after posting a partial message. This is usually the case when you are running sendmail and expect to generate a lot of partial messages. If the first argument given to sendfiles starts with a dash, then it is interpreted as the number of seconds to pause in between postings, e.g., sendfiles -30 mailpath "subject" files ... will pause 30 seconds in between each posting. Extracting the Received Files When these messages are received, invoke mhstore once for the list of messages. The default is for mhstore to store the combined parts as a new message in the current folder, although this can be changed using storage formatting strings. You can then use mhlist to find out what's inside; possibly followed by mhstore again to write the archive to a file where you can subsequently uncompress and untar it. For instance: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore 9 % uncompress < 9.tar.Z | tar xvpf - Alternately, by using the -auto switch, mhstore will automatically do the extraction for you: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore -auto 9 -- tar listing appears here as files are extracted As the second tar listing is generated, the files are extracted. A prudent user will never put -auto in the .mh_profile file. The correct procedure is to first use mhlist to find out what will be extracted. Then mhstore can be invoked with -auto to perform the extraction. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
mhbuild(1), mhlist(1), mhshow(1), mhstore(1). Proposed Standard for Message Encapsulation (RFC-934) DEFAULTS
`-noverbose' CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SENDFILES(1)