Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copying a pattern of files in one directory into other with new pattern names... Post 302268010 by frank_rizzo on Sunday 14th of December 2008 10:16:49 PM
Old 12-14-2008
why do you have 3 dots in your path? Try it using full paths.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting files in a directory that match a pattern

I have 20 files in a direcotry like BARE01_DLY_MKT_YYYYMMDD. The MKT differes for all these files but the remaining syntax remains the same for a particular day. If I am checking for today I need to make sure that there are 20 files that start with BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060720. How can I write a... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
31 Replies

2. Solaris

Look for distinct files under a directory matching a pattern

Hi, I'm searching for a pattern 'java' under a directory but it is returning all the files containing 'java', but I want to have only distinct files not all. please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.paramanatti
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find required files by pattern in xml files and the change the pattern on Linux

Hello, I need to find all *.xml files that matched by pattern on Linux. I need to have written the file name on the screen and then change the pattern in the file just was found. For instance. I can start the script with arguments for keyword and for value, i.e script.sh keyword... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yart
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory

I would need a command for finding first 15000 of the file names whose 25th postion is 5 in the current directory alone. I do have this painful command find . -name '5*' | head -15000 | cut -c3- please refine this. Of course the above command also searches in the sub directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files in a pattern directory?

Hi, I have more than 1000 directories under one directory (lets says under /home/). Sub directories are like A1 to A100,B1 to B100 etc.. Here my problem is I need to find the files older than 10 days in the directories which starts with A*. I tried some thing like this which is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shhrikanth
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files based on a pattern

Hi All, I need to find and list the last 5 days files in that exact name with "MIM" and copy to another directory. please help me in this there is around 30000 files Thanks Murali (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 969murali@gmail
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all files except the subdirectory(without pattern) in a directory

I used rm * and it deleted the files in the directory but gives and error message for unsuccessful subdirectory deletion. "rm: cannot remove 'DirectoryName': Is a directory" I dont want to explicitly get the above error. What are the modifications I have to do in the rm command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duplicate
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files with a specific pattern

Hi All I am trying to copy files from one location to another and given below are some sample ones: aaa_bbb_ccc_ddd_cost_code_20140330.gz aaa_bbb_ccc_ddd_revenue_zone_20140329.gz aaa_bbb_ccc_ddd_benefit_extract_20140330.csv.gz aaa_bbb_ccc_ddd_profit_zone_20150509.csv.gz... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Watch a directory for files with a pecific pattern

I dont know if this possible. I need to watch a directory and if any file gets appeneded with a particular entry say, nologin.php, we should get output of that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-05-12 PTARGREP(1)