Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pipe-fork-execve
Top Forums Programming pipe-fork-execve Post 302267967 by Franklin52 on Sunday 14th of December 2008 05:52:56 PM
Old 12-14-2008
The variable p must be an array of 2 integers and your program is ending here even if the fork call is successful (pid==0):

Code:
if( pid < 1 ){
/* bla bla */
return ;

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

execve to execute a program

I tried using the following code to execute a program but it doesnt seems to be working .. I would like to know whats wrong wit it . execve("/bin/cat", "words", NULL); (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: winsonlee
0 Replies

2. Programming

C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
2 Replies

3. Programming

md5sum and execve

Hello there! Is there a way to use execve() to run md5sum function? for example execve("md5sum <filename>, NULL,NULL);" thanx! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
2 Replies

4. Programming

fork&pipe "interpretting" shell - problem

hello everybode.Got some sort of "problems" with this stuff; well this is a program int main() { int Pipe; int origStdin, origStdout; int childPID; origStdin = dup(0); origStdout = dup(1); pipe(Pipe); if( (childPID = fork()) < 0 ) { perror(... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
2 Replies

5. Programming

execve notification in user mode under Linux

Hi, I'm writing a monitor program that can be notified once a process makes an execve system call and then stop that process for examining before it starts to run the new code. I know I can ptrace a process to achieve this, but I do not want to ptrace every process in the system. Is it possible?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aaron.lwe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conserving processes: execve() vs fork()

Disclaimer: This is just a rainy day experiment. There is no expected "goal" other than to understand UNIX better. After reading about fork and exec, my understanding is that forking, as the UNIX shell does by design, consequentially may sacrafice some speed versus an approach that runs in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uiop44
1 Replies

7. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

9. Programming

Permission error while using execve..

Hi, I have the following scenario.. 1) I have a binary which i launch from command line. It executes fine. 2) But when I launch it from another file using execve command, it gives a message that it is not able to access a shared object ".so" in /usr/bin (message is "Permission... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathish1000
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

One parent, multiple children pipe with fork()

The task I have to do is something along the lines "I receive some input and based on the first character I send it through pipe to one of the children to print". The scheme it is based on is 1->2; 1->3; 1->4; 2 will print all the input that starts with a letter, 3 will print all the input that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ildiko
2 Replies
CLOSE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  CLOSE(2)

NAME
close -- delete a descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int close(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The close() call deletes a descriptor from the per-process object reference table. If this is the last reference to the underlying object, the object will be deactivated. For example, on the last close of a file the current seek pointer associated with the file is lost; on the last close of a socket(2) associated naming information and queued data are discarded; on the last close of a file holding an advisory lock the lock is released (see further flock(2)). When a process exits, all associated file descriptors are freed, but since there is a limit on active descriptors per processes, the close() function call is useful when a large quantity of file descriptors are being handled. When a process forks (see fork(2)), all descriptors for the new child process reference the same objects as they did in the parent before the fork. If a new process is then to be run using execve(2), the process would normally inherit these descriptors. Most of the descriptors can be rearranged with dup2(2) or deleted with close() before the execve is attempted, but if some of these descriptors will still be needed if the execve fails, it is necessary to arrange for them to be closed if the execve succeeds. For this reason, the call ``fcntl(d, F_SETFD, 1)'' is provided, which arranges that a descriptor will be closed after a successful execve; the call ``fcntl(d, F_SETFD, 0)'' restores the default, which is to not close the descriptor. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and the global integer variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The close() system call will fail if: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid, active file descriptor. [EINTR] Its execution was interrupted by a signal. [EIO] A previously-uncommitted write(2) encountered an input/output error. SEE ALSO
accept(2), execve(2), fcntl(2), flock(2), open(2), pipe(2), socket(2), socketpair(2) STANDARDS
Close() conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (``POSIX.1''). 4th Berkeley Distribution April 19, 1994 4th Berkeley Distribution