Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: exact string match in a word
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers exact string match in a word Post 302267885 by dr_sabz on Sunday 14th of December 2008 11:48:20 AM
Old 12-14-2008
Thank you but this is already a tried method and does not work if you want to search for a string in a continuous word. eg.

filein:
hellohellolayla

grep -w "hello" filein
Returns a blank, because I am searching for a substring and not a whole string as the option -w forces.

Thanks anyway...any other help from anyone...I am close Smilie but need a little more advice

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I search a File for a string exact match

Hi, Can you help please. I have the following comand: if ]; then l_valid_string="Y" fi The problem I am trying to solve is that my l_string = ABC and my file contains ABC ABC_EFG I only want back the value ABC exact match. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for exact match in a string ??

Hi I have a string of the form XY_X1998.10.500. I want to check in a script that the middle part is always 10. How to achieve this? e.g the input can be XY_X1998.20.500 OR XY_X1998.50.500 OR XY_X1998.10.500. I have to print Yes everytime the middle value is 10 and NO when the middle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exact Word Match

I'm trying to find a exact word match but couldn't do it. ABC ABC_NE Searching for ABC_NE tried grep -w </ABC_NE/> grep "^ABC_NE$" but didn't worked , any awk variants would also help. ---------- Post updated at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:48 AM ---------- I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to match only exact string only in all occurences

Dear Friends, Anybody knows how to match exact lines only in multilinear. Input file: apple orange orange apple apple orange Desired output: fruit orange apple fruit i used the command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match a exact word in a variable ????

Hi All, Str="online maintenance" if then perform some action I know the above comparison is wrong ..... Actually I am very new to this solaris.. I want to check for online in a variable and perform some action based on that How can I do it? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

exact string match ; search and print match

I am trying to match a pattern exactly in a shell script. I have tried two methods awk '/\<mpath${CURR_MP}\>/{print $1 $2}' multipath perl -ne '/\bmpath${CURR_MP}\b/ and print' /var/tmp/multipath Both these methods require that I use the escape character. I am guessing that is why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding exact match string

Hi All, I'm writing unix script, it should find exact matching in search string. Looks simple but when i started i'm stuck to find the exact match character string. The unix script reads the records from DB Table. The table will have values something likes these Feed : A Feed File name :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckybalaji
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep the exact string / word ?

Hi All, I have a text / log file which contains strings like meta777, 77, meta, 777. Now I want to write a script which can detect a string 'meta#777' in a text file & number of occurence of 'meta', number of #, number 7, 77, 777. I'm using grep -e '77' filename but no luck. It is returning... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adc22
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the exact match of the string!

Hi All, I am breaking my head in trying to get a command that will exactly match my given string. I have searched net and found few of the options - grep -F $string file grep -x $string file grep "^${string}$" file awk '/"${string}"/ {print $0}' file strangely nothing seems to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help match the exact string

I just want to match "binutils1_test" only, and print the match line only lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:/tmp$ cat file zbinutils1_test bbinutils1_test binutils1_test w-binutils1_test lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:/tmp$ cat file |grep -w 'binutils1_test' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies
AUSYSCALL:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					     AUSYSCALL:(8)

NAME
ausyscall - a program that allows mapping syscall names and numbers SYNOPSIS
ausyscall [arch] name | number | --dump | --exact DESCRIPTION
ausyscall is a program that prints out the mapping from syscall name to number and reverse for the given arch. The arch can be anything returned by `uname -m`. If arch is not given, the program will take a guess based on the running image. You may give the syscall name or number and it will find the opposite. You can also dump the whole table with the --dump option. By default a syscall name lookup will be a substring match meaning that it will try to match all occurances of the given name with syscalls. So giving a name of chown will match both fchown and chown as any other syscall with chown in its name. If this behavior is not desired, pass the --exact flag and it will do an exact string match. This program can be used to verify syscall numbers on a biarch platform for rule optimization. For example, suppose you had an auditctl rule: -a always, exit -S open -F exit=-EPERM -k fail-open If you wanted to verify that both 32 and 64 bit programs would be audited, run "ausyscall i386 open" and then "ausyscall x86_64 open". Look at the returned numbers. If they are different, you will have to write two auditctl rules to get complete coverage. -a always,exit -F arch=b32 -S open -F exit=-EPERM -k fail-open -a always,exit -F arch=b64 -S open -F exit=-EPERM -k fail-open OPTIONS
--dump Print all syscalls for the given arch --exact Instead of doing a partial word match, match the given syscall name exactly. SEE ALSO
ausearch(8), auditctl(8). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat Nov 2008 AUSYSCALL:(8)